Running it in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooksy89

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
my tmaxx 3.3 has only be run for 2 hrs max then I had it in the shed for over a year now I'm looking to run it back in should I treat it as a new motor and break it in slowly? and

You don't need to break in the engine. Running for 2 hours will have done that already. But sitting unused for that long might or might not be a problem. Did you use after run oil before storing it? Hopefully so, but if not, I would pull the air filter and drop a couple drops of after run oil in and gently turn the engine over with the glow plug out. Just so the oil works itself in a little. Then fire it up and let it sit and idle for a few minutes and keep an eye on the engine temps. If all seems okay, then you really wont know if you have a problem until you really crank on it at that point.

The motor won't even turn from the ezy start I pulled it apart and It takes a lot of pressure to crank it by hand any ideas or am I up for a new motor

Easy start battery okay...fully charged and hasn't gone bad while sitting unused? The easy start motor okay? Those motors are pretty old school brushed and may have rusted up from sitting in a shed...depends a lot on if you live in a area prone to high humidity.

From there, If it was mine, I would probably start by popping out the glow plug and put a few drops of oil into the cylinder and gentle work that in. Maybe just let is set for a while. Those little engines do build fairly substantial compression and where yours only has a few hours on it, its still fairly new. So feeling tight may be a good thing. With the plug out, theres no compression so engine should turn over really easy. If there is any binding or it feels tight with the plug out, that maybe a problem.

If it still feels tight with the plug out, then only thing to do at that point would be break the engine down and visually inspect the moving parts. Bearings, crank, connecting rod and piston. Looking for visible signs of corrosion and making sure its not as simple as a frozen bearing. From there then decide if its worth fixing or needs replacement.

IF you decide on a new engine, there are a couple of reputable ebay chop shops that sell new 3.3 complete engines for a little less money compared to buy in a box from a dealer. Or if you want some real bang for your buck, there are the drop in replacement available from OS. A little pricey, but the OS21TM is made to be a drop in for the TMaxx. Using the stock flywheel and will work with the EZ start or Traxxas pull cord, it installs as easily as the stock 3.3 engine. You will see far easier tuning...its even stays in tune better and most importantly MOAR POWWAHHH!! :D

I would start by giving it a large shot of WD40 down both the carb &glow plug hole & let it sit for say ten minutes.
Give it a good shake & try rotating it over by hand, it should loosen up if it's just stiff from sitting.
If that doesn't help then I suggest you open it up for a look see.
Below is the Disassembly/Assembly for the 2.5/3.3 engines.
http://traxxas.com/node/34788

If you find it's burned it's last drop of nitro, there are several good engines you could replace it with.
Another 3.3, a Picco P-.21 maxx, an OS .21TM.

I pulled it all apart and have no idea what wrong with it putting it in the to hard basket and am going to buy another engine

I pulled it all apart and have no idea what wrong with it putting it in the to hard basket and am going to buy another engine

Do the internals have any rust on them?