RS4 trouble turning over after putting the engine back in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairy W Bush

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I JUST had the engine running about a week ago, but I had to remove it to address something. I put it back in and it's like it's hung up on something. The pullstart is very difficult now and notchy. It's straightforward so I'm not sure. The screw countersinks basically align it. However it is odd how the transmission spur gears are misaligned to the engine drive gears but the wear marks show that it was always like that.

Attachments

• 20220518_175935[1].jpg
    20220518_175935[1].jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220518_175948[1].jpg
    20220518_175948[1].jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220518_175958[1].jpg
    20220518_175958[1].jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 36
Try taking the motor out and reinstall. Before reinstalling, spin the tranny and clutchbell. I want to say I had the same issue 15 years ago, but it could be deja vu.

How is the bearings? Both needle clutch bearing and crank? That might explain both issues. The notchyness might be the clutch spring also.

Standard Rs4? I started buying drift parts until I went to buy the arms..... I will gladly pay 10 a pair now. 🤣

The 43 and 47 spurs are hard to get, one extremly. There are 3d printed ones on ebay. The files are online too I think free or $3 each. I can link it if you have access to a 3d printer.

everything seems smooth no noises. I had it back out a little while ago and put it back in and same deal. I'll pull it out again though...you want me to spin the trans and see if there's any odd noises right? how would I check that clutch spring? that pullstart is very hard to pull now
standard rs4 3 looks to be a '18SS'

I said spin the gears so the two points are not in contact. Could be warped spur, pebble damage ect. The clutch behind the clutchbell, I know of two types. One is a spring that goes all the way around. If its not connected or droopy, its an issue.

If its a metal pressure spring, look for loose clutch pads that move easily, or you may hsve some good tight ones and some getting looser going bad.

The 18ss was I kit I'm pretty sure. It had HD machined steel ring and pinion vs cast bs nitro rs4 ones. It was also a lower ratio on the ss. The new rs4 3 evo became the 18ss as an rtr with a 3.0, from the t15 and the 15fe. The 18ss I want to say had a different large (.18-.20) motor while the rtrs had the .15 at the time.

Rs4 3, rs4 3 evo, and 18ss use the same parts. The older belts shared thier own. The drift has different arms, shorter arm shafts, the center shafts are different due to the parts getting moved forward for a drift biased setup.

Ok I removed the engine again and removed the pullstart. It looks like an issue with the engine for some reason. Pullstart spins freely. Clutchbell seems solid, and rotating the engine by hand feels normal as well.
I have a video of the situation here.
btw this has the .15 in it so maybe I'm wrong