RRP Black Tranny Gear Set 4 SUPERMAXX????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbpwrd240

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey gang, I have been putting a supermaxx together for a few years now and I had some questions about the tranny. I have the following RRP Gears and I need to know what else I need to complete a .15 (black tranny) supermaxx tranny set. Looks like I will need the second gear and possibly more.

Here is what I have:
8543 43T Steel 1st Gear
8528 28T Steel Primary Gear (this appears to be older then the current 2.5 8529 maybe its for the older .15?)
8529 2.5 Hardned forward primary gear (this is the current 2.5 version)
8525 Hardned Steel Top Shaft 17/22T
The last Item befudles me.. It is two metal gears that are small say about the size of a nickel, they have 16 teeth, each one has a bearing in it. I have one metal coller to go with them. I think this is two idler gears with only one idler coller. I got these in an ebay auction with no bag so I have no clue what they are. Robinson doesn't list them on their website but I think they are RRP since I got them in an RRP lot.

I wanted to build an older black tranny for my supermaxx as this is what I believe these parts to be for and its the only model I run currently. The two forward primary gears to my thinking are probably the older and the newer version for the change in the older black transmissions that happened around the 2.5 version.

On top of all this I wanted to add a Good slipper, an aluminum tranny case and a forward only conversion.

Can you guys please help me out and let me know:
1) which slipper to be looking for now that I'm 10 years behind on this project.
2) Please let me know what other RRP gears I need to finish out a bullet proof supermaxx transmission with one of the older black transmissions.

In exchange Ill get some pictures together for you guys since I know this thread is worthless without pics!!! ;)

Thanks in advance,
Alex R.

Last edited:
You would need #8586 /26T FOC gear (you will need to use the stock .15/2.5 output shaft) &
#8538 – Primary 2nd gear.
That will make a complete RRP FOC tranny with the pieces you already have.

Slipper: Since you’re using the RRP top shaft you’re looking at either the stock slipper, RRP slipper, or a Strobe slipper.

Okay,

The RRP Double disk slipper looks nice but for big blocks most use the 1/8 scale slippers like the Strobec correct? I noticed a difference in teeth and pitch between them. More info here would realy be helpfull.

Also thanks for the input on the gears. Am I to believe then that I have two idle gears with only on metal coller? After reviewing the Idler bearing kit form traxxas the kit I have doesn't have the long cap head screw and a few teflon washers that come with the traxxas kit.

Thanks Guys,

P.S. I just bought an old school crowd pleazer 2.0 for the Revo and some 1/2" offset Velocity Wheels and proline Bow tie 3.2" tires for my Small Block T-MAXX Truggy Build. :D

Back