Rotostart quick question...been a long time..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badsneaker

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys/gals,

Have been out of the hobby since 2008, picked up a Savage from my friends Dad and I can't get it running. The .21 engine was locked up due to lack of use but I got it spinning and it has a nice pop. Problem is I tried the rotostart b4 I remembered to check the engine and spin it by hand 1st. Guess I was too anxious. Did I strip the rotorstart mechanism? It lookd like a PITA to pull the engine out to replace it. I know I could probably find the answer browsing around but you guys were all so helpful when I was a noob. Also got my buddy and probably a few more at work into this addiction/hobby so you'll probably see some new members.

Thanks,

Jon

I did the same thing to my new Savage X. I had to remove the engine and replace the one way bearing inside the rotostart mech. It really wasn't that hard at all. Just remove the air filter, the fuel lines, the gas tank, disconnect the trottle linkage and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the frame. Then just remove the 4 screws that hold the motor to the frame. The motor will then lift right out. Just pay attention to your gear mesh before you remove the motor and when you reinstall it.

Thanks for the reply I actually fixed it with no new parts needed. Turns out the alloy cover plate the rotostart mounts to backed off the engine somehow. I took it off and found the pin which mounts into connecting rod fell out so the rotostart inner cover groove wasn't lined up with that pin. I put it all back and guess what? She runs!

Well after the third one way bearing failure, this last one only lasted a couple of weeks, I have given up on the roto and put my pullstart that came with my engine back on. I must say it's not as big a pain in the butt to use as i thought it was going to be. Once you get fuel up to the carb it fires right up. Now I have one less thing to pack around just the truck, the radio, and my glowarmer!

Back