RotoStart Problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRstar02

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have Savage X with the 4.6. I bought it used (less than a month ago) and when I used to try and start it it would only catch every once in a while. I read up on it and heard that the bearing could be the issue. Replaced the bearing it started with no problems. I went to go play with it yesterday I have put LESS than a quart of nitro through it. I went to go start it....nothing It wouldn't catch, it wouldn't start it, it wouldn't do anything it would just sit there and spin. So I took it all back apart and found out that the bearing was broken (almost in half) again!! Is that a common thing?! Do they go that bad that fast or did I just get a bum bearing from the factory? Is there something that I may have done wrong when I installed it? Would I be better off replace it with a pull start or are those just as bad? Thanks for the help

they go on with the stamped words towards the motor i believe. i have never had a problem with the one-way bearing

Sometimes removing the OWB and cleaning with WD-40 helps with them slipping. If you run a high oil content fuel a lot times they will stsart to slip some.

It's not that it's slipping the bearing just cracked down the middle and broke causing it not to work. This is the second one I've replaced in less than a month. Is that normal or did I just get a bad batch of them? I know that I'm putting them on correctly it only goes on one way to start the truck correctly.

Wow I don't run my savage much but I have never had a bearing break like that before on any of my rigs.

Are you getting any nitro into the pullstart? If so that will wear that bearing out fast

Yup the OWD should only go on in a specific direction, although I have heard of engines spinning backwards, and even idling in reverse. This could be the case....maybe. Since if the engine is spinning in reverse it could cause problem at the OWB, cause it's only suppose to spin a certain direction.

One way to check is to be able to start it and see if blipping the throttle will cause the spur to move, if the engine idles high and doesn't move the rig even though the spur is being spun by the clutch bell then the engine could be turning in reverse. Pay attention to the direction the spur rotates.

Savage spurs spin counter-clockwise to move the truck forward. The truck will not move if the spur is being spun clockwise by the engine, since there is a OWB in the transmission as well.

You probably just got a bad one. I've never had one break like you describe.

i have broke a couple of them but it was usually cause i primed to much fuel in the motor and it locked up and the torque from the roto start cracked the bearing just put a pull start on it a good running truck will start in one or two pulls

Do you have the type that is set onto a beveled shaft? I have the older one and have gone through a few of them. The wheelie bar mount can make it a PIA to get it aligned straight. As tard said (that's a sentence I never would have guessed I'd say) when it's flooded if you use something other than the roto-start which will fail-over when it gets to hot...the bearing will lose.

Last edited:
I was working on one of mine roto start was fine made a turning noise but someone didn't line the engine proper so was locking up when pushed back and forth.. So took it apart to line it back up after doing so I tried to start it and it was like there no noiseless compression. I thought maybe the roto start had but I got it to start and a few mins. Comes and goes now but car still starts fine

I never had the Roto-Start pop the fuse, It never got to loaded up with fuel that it would stop turning. It always started real easy before and still does. The part number is the HPI 1430 I put it on the same way that it came off so I don't imagine that I put it on backwards. The one that I have replaced it with I haven't had any issues with. I still think that for some reason I just got a weird one.