Roto start striping the small gear twice now!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skin76

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Please help any advice would be appreciated! I'v put my savage X 4.6 engine in my hpi trophy (just because i could) or so i thought! It has striped the small gear in the roto start (back of the engine) twice now smashed just about every tooth of the thing:angry:
Any idea's why it would be doing this?

Some sort of mis-match, miss-alignment of the engine maybe. Your using a Roto-starter not a Cordless drill - Right? So how is enough power being input to smash the gears anyway?

Hi yes I'm using roto start 2 that came withe the savaga! its not when its starting its when its been ruining its doing it? The owb seemed ok when i put it on maybe its locking-up when its getting warm?

Yes - If the one way bearing in locked up - then the Roto-plate gears are turning all the time maybe causing the pre-mature failure???

BB >>>

Look to see if there is enough space inside the roto backplate for the OWB to slide backwards partially off the stater shaft. I fought this problem with my O.S. 21TM with a roto backplate. The fix is simple, a small piece of fuel tubing inbetween the OWB and backplate or a shock piston. Anything that can take the slop out without causing a binding issue will work.

Nice one I will try that! I'v not purchased the new gear yet been waiting to find a solution and I'm in the proses of moving house as well at the moment and need all the cash i can get! Thanks again for your help I will keep you posted!

Back