roll cage for my on road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i had a slight disaster the other night with my on road doing multiple flips in the air about 2 foot of the groud. i was wondering if anyone has ever designed one of there own. just wondering what material was used. how pipes were bent and cut and so forth. and also where to place them to get most out of suspension handling and engine protection.

If you think of it, it's pretty easy, but in reality it takes a long time. First you need to find where you will mount it, I would recommend any open holes in the radio tray so nothing will interfere with it and on the sides of the radio tray if part is sticking out. Then you will need to measure. After you've got it all, it's time to create the roll cage. You want to make sure that you get the basic outside part first, then start creating the crosses. After that's done, you could try to make mounts for it or cut out a |_| formation on the sides so they snap on the radio tray. I've seen someone do this at my LHS.

great idea coby, i just wanted some ideas too on what type of tubing anyone would recommend and what to bend/cut it with. let me know if you got any ideas!

I also had an idea of making a roll cage for my rs4 out of automotive steel brake line. The questionable part is whether it will be strong enough to endure a very high speed roll.

yeah i was thinking that too. also some copper plumbing tubing. which is stronger than break line.

if anyone still has any ideas on this thread. it would help me alot. I'm really considering doing this. the more input the better! =]

if your gona do it, i like the copper pipe idea, you can solder/sweat everything together, sand it all down and spray it with a colored bedliner or something. to make your ends connect to the chassis, you can squish down the one end in a vise, fold it over and round it off with a dremel.. you can also get a very accurate small pipe bender in the plumbing section of home depot. to make your cross braces.. measure them out and with a drum sander on your dremel, you can"cup" the ends of the piping so it fits snug to the main cage. you can sweat that with a torch and solder. it will look like a weld bead on a 1:1 roll cage

a roll cage on an onroad would be to much weight and you would completly loose your handling and cornering ability..

I'm not saying it can't be done, i just dont see that it would be a net gain.. you would take it back off cause the car was to slow or didnt turn worth a crap with it on.

if you can find a proline or simulare body in .060 or thicker, those things are very stiff and would hold up to the lightweight of a 10th scale onroad.

thats a good idea beason. i was also thinking about useing some aluminum fencing. i got a mig welder that can weld aluminum. that would keep the weight down and i wouldnt do the whole car. just the back half where the engine is. i dont think steering would be affected. plus i got a 2 speed vx16 engine. i dont think speed would be a problem either. just looking mostly for protection and something different. let me know what you think about the aluminum idea. no bigger than 1/8in

I'm not an on-road car guy, yet anyway. I was reading your ideas and I think it's a neat idea. I love to see people start fabricating custom parts. I just thought that I would chime in on your aluminum idea. I don't think the aluminum 1/8 inch or fencing or whatever would do much good in the even of a high speed crash. Aluminum is so soft and I think it would just crumple in an impact.

If you're doing it as a "just because project" Aluminum would probably be ok... once, depending on the design. If you're actually looking for realiable protection just get one of the heavier touring car bodies like Beason suggested. .060 is pretty freakin tough in a 1/10 sedan.

I was thinking about the roll cage idea this morning. I think it would be good to get one of those .060 lexan bodies, and then get some lexan sheeting or some old bodies or something and make reinforcements. You could double the lexan and make braces and I dont think it would be as heavy as the aluminum, but I couldn't be sure without putting it on a scale.

if you just want to buld something, how bout just a crash bar for the engine. like they have for the t-maxxes. just a loop and a bar that covers the head.

like this but scaled down to fit the car.

rev910v33s_a.jpg

that should be alot lighter then a full cage, and still offer the protection your looking for

Back