Rit dye ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITRO 21

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just got some dye for my white dish rims I just wanted to know how much dye to use and about how long I should leave them in the dye, it says to double the amount for dark or bright colors but it is talking about for every pound of fabric so I am a little confused.

I just bought a cheap pot (maybe like 5 quarts or something) at Walmart cuz I didn't want to mess up the good stuff. Anyways, use something large enough to hold ALL THE WHEELS! Make sure you do all the wheels at the same time so they all turn out the same shade. Anyways, fill the pot like 2/3 full of water and put it on the stovetop. Get it to simmer steadily. I used the liquid RIT, probably like 1/4 of the bottle. Only took like 5 or 6 minutes. tye some string around them to pull them out with. let 'em air dry and bam, yer done.

Cover EVERYTHING around, close, near, under, over and within dripping or splattering distance. If you can, do it outside on the gas BBQ. When this stuff gets on something it will never come out.

You can practice with white RPM Ball ends to get the timing right. I have found that its better to leave the parts in just a little longer. They seem to lose just a bit of intensity when they dry.

I use liquid rit to its great but use the whole bottle and use med heat on the stove and be carefull its messy if you're not, make sure all the parts are covered so use a deep enough pot, and remember you can always go darker!!! good luck, oh yeah only nylon parts not plastic!!!!

Thanks, the only red I could find was scarlett red does anyone know if this will come out pretty bright, and I will make sure to use it carefully as the one thing I know about the stuff is it stains badly also do dish wheels need anything special done to them before I dye them.

I don't know how dark they will come out but all I can offer of advise is test something. It's probably gonna come down to timing. And no, you shouldn't need to do anything special to them.

I believe I used Scarlet Red on my wheels here. I do remember I had to leave them in a long time to get this color. I kept taking them out and they looked pink. After about 10 minuted or so they finally looked right.

13CyberMaxx2-med.jpg

Here is a link to a How-To to dying wheels. Click

Sorry if the site brings up any problems with RCNT but it was a good how-to maybe someone can do one here.

Thanks for the tips.Mayhem the link isn't working for me it's coming up as cannot find server.

Sorry there is a reason behind that. Well it was a good how-to any wat.

Back