Right time to try and get it running

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jody 4444

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi i am a newbie here and i have got a HPI SAVAGE SS with a OS 30vg engine and 3 speed and for the life of me i can't get it running, i have had the glow plug charger on all night and fitted a new glow plug, I have put new fuel in but it will not fire not even a bit, it has been primed and turned over with the roto start and is getting fuel, took the glow plug out and tested and ok its a orange glow.
Does the transmitter on the car and receiver have to be on for it to run ( not that it made any difference )
Any help would be appreciated :D
DSC01088.gif

DSC01090.gif

Do you have fuel going through the lines to the engine? Check your fuel line to see if its broke, Also check your tank for cracks

Right there is definitely fuel getting in as some times fuel comes out of the exhaust and there are no cracks or splits in the fuel lines or tank :(

OK just given it another go and it now gives a puff out of the air filter hole like a backfire about 2 times in a 10 sec turning cycle

How's the compression feel? If you can turn the engine over with 1 finger on the flywheel, it may need a rebuild.

Yep you can turn it over with one finger on the flywheel.
So would i need a new piston and liner ?

Most likely. I'd let some others chime in with some more ideas, though. You should be able to turn it over like this, but it should get damn tight at top dead center. My 2.5 in my Maxx is real easy to turn over by the fly wheel, but it runs decent. It's just a dog. I know it needs a piston/sleeve. I'd hate to tell you to tear it apart and rebuild it if it's not the main problem. But it's never a bad idea to seal an engine; especially if it runs erratic, or not at all. That engine doesn't look very old and it's pretty clean.

If it turns over easy with fuel in it or turns over easy when warm, it's worn out. If it gets tight with fuel in it, it may still be OK.
The O.S. 30 is an ABL construction. ABC construction is much better.
ABL=nickel pated, ABC =chrome plated sleeeve.

Does anyone know of a UK stockist for these engines ?

I'm not in the UK so I can't speak as to any dealers in your area, but you can find the piston/cylinder, conrod, piston pin, and piston pin reatiner on eBay for about 90 dollars.
Here's what Tower Hobbies lists as the replacement parts for a O.S. 30VG(P)
http://www.towerhobbies.com

Part #
23923000 - O.S. Cylinder & Piston Assembly 30VG
23915000 - O.S. Connecting Rod 30VG
23916000 - O.S. Piston Pin 30VG
24517000 - O.S. Piston Pin Retainer

Or you can always buy a new engine off eBay too...

Have u tried the LSN settings. I have a savy 25 and its no O.S. .30 but when i couldnt get it started, I would turn the LSN out 1/4 turns at a time. Once I could tell it was going to fire up I would adjust the idler to help keep it on. Like I said, my S-25 is no os 30 but hopes this helps some.

Sorry but i have not been able to get near a computer for a couple of days.
Thanks for the replys, I have found a model shop in the uk that can get me the parts at a reasonable price :)

is the starter actually turning it over ? I messed with my savage for an hour before I realized the one way was not one waying!!!

i had a os 30 vg they seem to eat piston and sleeves i rebuilt mine twice in 2 years

Cheers for the replys people i have got a piston and liner on order, can't wait to fit it and actually have a go:D

Back