revo+picco 26 red dot issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used an lc3 plug which is a hot plug during run in and then changed to an lc4 which is a medium plug. Bit from what I understand if its cold you run a hotter plug and if its warm you run a med or cold. Never have ran a cold plug and I live in south Louisiana.

A medium plug is good all year 'round on most engines, I'd run the lc4.
As for the hot plug in cold weather, it's the other way around....But like I said, a medium works in most applications.

If you have the famed "chewbacca" idle, chances are the lsn is about 1 turn too lean and/or you have the leaky carb that Piccos were known for. I'm pretty sure Picco has addressed that problem by now. The chewbacca idle comes in handy on some engines because it absolutely means the low end is lean, whether it be tuning, air leak, or both.

My picco is running quite a bit less than 1mm, it's more like .5 or .6mm.

thanks for the info guys
@override,i sealed and resealed everylast part i could,using lucky 7 and copper rtv on the backplate and carb base.i have the carb set to .5 turn proud on the hsn and the lsn is set to 7.5 turns out and that is pig rich but i think my idle gap is too big so i'm goning to reset everything and try again
ambeint temp today is 33c so I've been running the odonnell #99 you had in the motor
also what were those setting that you wrote in the back of the book??
@2revo1maxx,ill change to the lc4 and see if that makes a difference.it seems that the needle setting are very touchy as in i mean an 1/2 hour adjustment is the difference between a ok tune and all hell breaking loose
The biggest problem i have with this engine is there is no local support at all,i went to my lhs and told them what i had in the revo and they looked at me like i was speaking a different language:\

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the stuff I had written in the back was the needle settings that worked for me. I don't remember for sure though. I hope you can get here running, I could get it tuned but the "chewbacca" idle as 2revo stated was a problem I had aswell. I never tried to address it though, as I pulled the motor out and converted it to brushless.

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Ya know what I just now realized something....I am not for sure about this but I have a hunch. Look in the box and see if the receipt is still in there, if it is see what the purchase date was. I don't know when Picco fixed the issue with the carbs but I know that motor is atleast a good 3 years old. I bought it and it sat on a shelf for about 2 years before I ever even opened it. If it doesn't have the revised carb on it, then contact picco and see if they can send you a new one free of charge. :) Otherwise tell them you want your money back and they can have there paperweight back lol.

Thanks man ill look at that as soon as I get home
Ill revise the needles and reset the idle gap to 1.0mm and drop an lc4 plug 8nto her and see what happens from there

hmmm so i emailed ofna last night and got a resopnse this morning which was good
basically they said the plug I'm using is too cold and my lsn should be 2 turns out from flush and i should be running 20-25%nitro
hopefully i can take her out for a test flight after work today as this is driving my crazy:p:

Keep in mind that where they are and where you are is totally different...2 turns out is most likely way to lean.

Thats exactly what I was thinking
Been chatting to dave from ofna and basically he said I shouldnt be running anything more than 25%
I think ill stick to the 7.5 turns on lsn and j7st run a medium plug and see what that does
Dave said that the #99 plug may be too cold so heres hoping

I would focus mainly on getting the hsn set first. Once it's warmed up to operating temps, start working on the lsn. The lsn is easier than people think. I like to see how long the engine will idle without loading up. 5-10 seconds without loading up means you're getting close.

What the main problem is getting to take off without bogging
If I adjust the lsn to get a good take off, not great, I get chewbacca idle and temps go up at idle but it still seems to have a bit of a bog at about 1/3 throttle if you know what I mean
If I gas it its ok but if I ease on the throttle it sounds like its bogging mid range but the idle is crazy high
I hope that makes sense
After the few emails back and forth with ofna and doing a bit of research I'm going to go with a medium plug, an lc4 atm and see what happens from there, fingers crossed
The weather in perth is not the best this week for tuning, 37c tomorrow and 39c over the weekend
Ill keep yall posted, thanks for your help everyone