Revo Motor Temp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwoolman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a new Revo that I just finished breaking in. I am in the tune in portion and I can not seem to keep the motor temp below 300 at the glow plug. I think I have it running rich enough and as I rich the high-speed needle even more the temp does not seem to go down. I have cut the windows out for more ventilation and made sure to keep the air cleaner clean. It seems to idle well, maybe a little fast, at it does not stall on quick stops or breaking. The high-speed needle is about 4.5 turns out from full closed. The low speed needle is adjusted about a quarter turn from full close. I have not had to do much adjusting on idle speed. It may be a 1/8 to ¼ from factory setting. I may have my terminology wrong. I am calling the idle speed the adjustment screw facing away from the center of the truck (the larger adjusting screw) and I am calling the low speed adjustment the small adjusting screw located right below the high-speed adjustment screw and facing the center of the truck body.

As this is my first nitro, I may not be running it as it should be run. I read a post that said nitros are only meant to run at top speed for a few seconds. I am running this on a flat soccer field, wide open for at least 30 seconds plus them measuring temp. If I hot rod it around and only hit top speed for a couple of seconds and measure temp, it seems to measure around the 260-280 mark.

I am running 20% nitro, not sure of the brand, but it was recommend by the shop that sold the truck.

You should NOT be running WOT at top speed for over 30 seconds!
Your just asking for a rod to snap.
300 is too hot.
260-280, is a little hot but not horrible.

The carb is like this...
needle that extends from carb where fuel enters is your hsn
where your carb boot and servo ties to (screw in the center) is your lsn
last but not least is your idle stop screw which is below where your airfilter ties to and is at an angle.

Try richening your hsn, if your going to make long WOT passes you want to be more on the rich side so you don't over rev your engine. Max temp with the 2.5r or any engine for that matter should be no more then 275*

BTW welcome to RCNT!

Your low speed needle can come out a bit.

Twice.. lol VB

Yeah, factory settings for the LSN is flush with the housing. Your high speed sounds like it is set at factory as well. What kind of temp gauge are you using and are you sure it is acurate? Running flat out at that kind of distance your flirting with getting the call from David Hobbs "It done BLOWED UP mate" My temps are about 260-265 after a 5 minute heat to give you an idea.

Thanks for all the informatipn. I think I am just running it full throttle for too long. I purchased the IR temp gauge with the truck, not sure of the brand. It is fresh out of the box so I made the assumption it is accurate.

I will try some of your adjustment tips and let you know how they come out. I will also relax my throttle finger a bit. Some day I would like to upgrade to a big block, but not because I blew up the factory motor in two weeks!

Thanks again for all the information. It is nice to have a place someone new to this hobby can go and get good information.

Glad we could help. But if you want to run wide open all you have to do is richen that bad boy up, you won't go as fast but you won't blow up your motor.

Back