Revo gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northleaf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Alright, so I've come so far that its time to have a look and change the gearing. However when I read on a little on the subject I encountered the wide, stock and close gearing. What's the difference between these and what's the pros and cons on them? which is stock on the revo? I know its 38/14 but is it wide, stock or close?
After reading the info I saw that close gearing gives the best acceleration and punch which I'm after.

Any relevant info on the matter is welcome.

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2

Stock is wide. Just change your spur and or clutch bell gearing to give u the speed and acceleration your after. Smaller cb and larger spur will reduce top speed and increase acceleration.

Close –standard-wide ratio is internal gearing in the transmission.
Think of it like a 1:1 4 speed transmission. Close ratio is almost like shifting from 1-2 gear, standard from 1-3 and wide from 1-4 (just not as big of a change). 1st gear remains the same and just the ratio between 1st and 2nd changes. Advantages are, close ratio is less of a jump and smoother shifting with less loss of engine rpms. Wide would be the opposite, bigger jump between gears but it will pull the rpms down at the shift change more than close ratio, Wide ratio will result in a higher top speed than close ratio. Standard is in between close and wide.
38/14 would be referring to the external transmission spur gear and the engine clutch bell.

Alright, thank you for clearing it up.

Now to experiment with different tooth counts on the spur and clutch to find which works better for the track and my driving style.

Skickat från min LT18i via Tapatalk 2

There is only 2 ratio's, close & wide, the stock Revo 3.3 trans has the wide ratio gearing, there's nothing in between them, stock is the wide ratio. If you have the engine tuned properly & the shift point set up at the right rev range (with stock/wide ratio trans) then there isn't a huge drop in revs & the Revo will still pick up speed pretty fast. Close ratio trans is better if your racing on a track but for just bashing around, the stock/wide ratio would be the better option IMO.

There is only 2 ratio's, close & wide, the stock Revo 3.3 trans has the wide ratio gearing, there's nothing in between them

Part numbers:
Close ratio 5383
Standard ratio 5385
Wide ratio 5384

Right^.
Stock for the 5310 (2.5) is standard ratio.
Stock for the 5308 and both versions of the 5309 are wide ratio.
Stock for the platinum 5304 is close ratio.

Generally speaking, close ratio is better for a higher reving engine with less torque.
Wide is better for an engine with more torque.

First gear remains the same no matter what.

My Revo is the 5309 model, in the book that came with it, it says it comes with the wide ratio as stock & there is a close ratio as an option & thats it. I guess each model was a little different with the gearing it came with.
Whats the difference between the 2 different 5309 models (didn't know there was 2), I only got mine 2 months ago so not sure on all the models yet, it just says mine is the Revo 3.3, 5309 model & its 10% bigger than previous models.

Last edited:
The 5309 came out in '06 as the first 3.3 model. It had talon tires with a 15 tooth clutch bell and am radio.
The newer 5309 was released a couple years ago and has better servos, a better filter, 2.4ghz radio, a 14 tooth bell, and a few other goodies.
It's 10% larger because of the 1/2" offset "geode" wheels and larger tires.

Oh ok, so its all pretty much the same then apart from a couple of changes & wheel/tyre combo. Not really 10% bigger then, just the wheels/tyres.
I havn't had mine long so still have to learn a fair bit about them.

Back