Revo 3.3 motor help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiRevo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I’m new to nitro cars and got bought a collection. I’ve got a 3.3 revo that I took apart to fully clean the motor and see the shape it was in. It’s fully back together and everything seems fine except it seems like it has slightly more compression/ tug for the pull string. It might be the same but it feels slightly more firm. Any tips before I install it back in the truck?

I’m new to nitro cars and got bought a collection. I’ve got a 3.3 revo that I took apart to fully clean the motor and see the shape it was in. It’s fully back together and everything seems fine except it seems like it has slightly more compression/ tug for the pull string. It might be the same but it feels slightly more firm. Any tips before I install it back in the truck?
Always put the piston down at bottom dead out of the sleeve after you run it ,this help preserve
The pinch an compression. When you rotate the piston down from the top to the bottom ,put a
Mark on the flywheel at a location where you can identify ,like near the carb. That will tell you where
The bottom dead is at for where the piston should be at out of the pinch when the engine cools off...👍

Always put the piston down at bottom dead out of the sleeve after you run it ,this help preserve
The pinch an compression. When you rotate the piston down from the top to the bottom ,put a
Mark on the flywheel at a location where you can identify ,like near the carb. That will tell you where
The bottom dead is at for where the piston should be at out of the pinch when the engine cools off...👍
Does it matter which way the head gasket faces? Like does it only work 1 way?

I am no expert like cbaker, but I found that, before starting it I drop a little fuel in the glow plug hole and it pulls easier There may be a better way.

Like wide open said ,you should use a little lube in the engine ,like 3 n 1 oil ,or fuel before you start it ,never dry start.
Head shims or seal doesn't matter as long as its there an it seals.
If that engine was all caky an nasty with old fuel ,chances are ,that the engine was never tuned off of its break in carb
Settings ,that maybe the reason why it still has a lot of compression ,you heat the engine before you start it with a heat
Gun that you can buy at your local home depo or harbor freight store ,this will help the engine start easier an also help
The longevity of the engine...👍😎

Like wide open said ,you should use a little lube in the engine ,like 3 n 1 oil ,or fuel before you start it ,never dry start.
If that engine was all caky an nasty with old fuel ,chances are ,that the engine was never tuned off of its break in carb
Settings ,that maybe the reason why it still has a lot of compression ,you heat the engine before you start it with a heat
Gun that you can buy at your local home depo or harbor freight store ,this will help the engine start easier an also help
It’s fully cleaned a sealed I put some wd40 to so it wasn’t dry. Just seems a little harder to pull the string than before I cleaned it. Just slightly. I could me imagining it or it could be bc it’s cold idk

Why type of fuel/ oil% should I be running. Every place I check has 16% oil or higher and I was told 9-12% is best. What’s your recommendations,

i wouldnt go any highr than 12% oil , 20 or 30% nitro
i wouldnt go any highr than 12% oil , 20 or 30% nitro is good!...👍
All the shops around me only carry higher oil % I read that the sidewinder with 20% oil is actually 20% Castrol to 80% synthetic with a total % of 9% would that be true? It says oil 20% on the bottle

All the shops around me only carry higher oil % I read that the sidewinder with 20% oil is actually 20% Castrol to 80% synthetic with a total % of 9% would that be true? It says oil 20% on the bottle
anything sidewinder is good ,just as long that it is not traxxas fuel!..:thumbs-up:

Back