Revo 3.3 Help (Wont Start)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnepstad87

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I got this Revo 3.3 used from my cousin and when I first got it it started up fine. When it ran it was pretty sluggish on the acceleration as well as throttle response. While it was running it stalled after maybe 5-10 mins running. I looked up tuning instructions But I have not been able to get it to start to even mess with that. I did set the High speed and low speed needles to factory. I am running 20% just like the previous owner. The engine sounds like it is turning over and trying to start, it just wont start. I get pretty close a few times. One thing I did notice is that the clutch bell(I think....) is kind of loose and the gear attached to it as well. Makes a louder than normal ringing noise when you push the car in reverse(Engine off). My Glow plug light on my easy start turns on so I don't think it's the glow plug. Overall I am just at a loss for Ideas. Also I am completely new to these forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

The flow chart in the following thread will be helpful for tuning once you get it started.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

Fully charge your starter wand battery and then give it another go.

I have found that with the Traxxas EX Start that after a few times using it, it won't properly ignite the glow plug to get it started which will result in flooding the engine. It will look fine when you test it, but that is because the wand is only powering the glow plug. When it has to take on the additional load of powering the starter motor, it simply doesn't have enough juice to do both effectively after awhile. I ended up removing the plug wire and using a separate glow igniter.

Here are some images of the gears that I was saying are loose and a video to show what my concern is.

VIDEO Click broken Link below. lol

yes you have bigger problems then it just not starting. you are going to have to pull that motor and see what is going on with the clutch. il looks like you lost the little c clip that holds the bell on. That may also be binding on the flywheel and making the truck not start. these little motors dont have a whole lot of torque. you can stop them just by pressing a screwdriver handle or something on the flywheel, so it doesn't take much.

The flow chart in the following thread will be helpful for tuning once you get it started.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

Fully charge your starter wand battery and then give it another go.

I have found that with the Traxxas EX Start that after a few times using it, it won't properly ignite the glow plug to get it started which will result in flooding the engine. It will look fine when you test it, but that is because the wand is only powering the glow plug. When it has to take on the additional load of powering the starter motor, it simply doesn't have enough juice to do both effectively after awhile. I ended up removing the plug wire and using a separate glow igniter.

I did find the flow chart on the forum and that will be an amazing help once I get it started.

I'm starting to realize that it is probably the clutch that is causing my issues...
Now to look into getting the parts and changing that.

How do you get a separate glow igniter setup? Because that battery does die so fast.

Also My carb is setup with the 1-2mm Gap.

---------- Post added at 1:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:33 PM ----------

Alright I figured that was the issue, I didn't realize it was this bad until I took off the roll bar. I will have to look at an exploded view and see whats missing or what is wrong.

Thanks Beason and RobMob!

you prob need a new clutch assembly ...i suggest you go with aluminum shoes ..3 shoe setup is the way most people go ..but you need a new flywheel for that ( but its not that expensive ) ..i have both a 3 shoe and a 2 shoe aluminum clutch and the 2 shoe seems to be doing pretty good .....you will prob need new clutch bell
bearings to ...i suggest you get a pack of 10 ;) they are pretty cheap to .....

as for the C clip for the bell , you can replace that with a screw and some shims ;)

I'm no expert but check the carb and clutch assembly mine was doing exact samething but one time i had to get a new carb then the other time i had to get clutch assembly

Get your new bearings from AvidRC.com, most bearings are $1 each so you can stock up on all your commonly needed bearings at once.

My LHS sells the bearings he gets from Avid at a $3~$6 markup! Guess who don't buy bearing from the LHS no more!

I haven't tried starting this up yet but I did get the clutch assembly working.
The bearings were completely trashed and so were the shoes and the spring was gone. I stayed with the stock shoes and may upgrade to the 3 shoes sometime later.

Thank you guys for all the help. If it doesn't start now I'm gonna look at the Carb. Even though everything seemed ok.

And I need a better battery charging system as well as possibly a glow plug igniter.

good luck with the stock clutch shoes ...i had a brand new set last me less than 5 tanks of fuel ..( one shoe was broken in 3 ) ....thats when i decided to go with aluminum shoes

I have the same stock shoes that it came with. I have about 3 gallons through it now