Revo 2.5r help!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddy mike

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a Revo that I purchased that had sat for quite some time everything gummed up I got it cleaned out for the most part it starts and runs but it will die after 5 minutes I said it back to factory tuning can anybody help me please and thank you in advance

Is it revving up when dying, or just shutting off? Revving up would indicate fuel starvation for some reason, shutting off might indicate too rich. I would start with replacing the glow plug.

Is it revving up when dying, or just shutting off? Revving up would indicate fuel starvation for some reason, shutting off might indicate too rich. I would start with replacing the glow plug.
It just shuts off no rev or anything I went back to stock needle settings I will get a plug after work any suggestions on heat? I'm up North in colder weather I'm a noob so don't laugh to hard haha but thank you

When it's warm it shuts off? 5 minutes running??could also be an air leak only showing up when warm,or watch fuel level when it shuts off,some rc s lean out after a 1/2 tank is seen,richen needle,

When it's warm it shuts off? 5 minutes running??could also be an air leak only showing up when warm,or watch fuel level when it shuts off,some rc s lean out after a 1/2 tank is seen,richen needle,
Yeah it will start easy enough an run for about 5 then just shut down then won't start for about 10 minutes an it will do it at any fuel level

What is the head temperature when it fails,could be too hot and binding☠️

Yeah it will start easy enough an run for about 5 then just shut down then won't start for about 10 minutes an it will do it at any fuel level
hope its not the case, but that really sounds like a worn out piston and sleeve. why it starts after 10 minutes is the engine cools down re-shrinking back to get compression again then when it warms up loss of compression and dies.
few options there though,
get sleeve re-pinched (rayaracing offers this service for around 25-30$) not quite new but will get you back going. (you will need to re-break it in)
replace with stock,
upgrade.
traxxas does do a engine power up program, where you send your engine back and pay some extra and get an upgrade
(personally I don't trust the 3.3s though)
or get something like a Dynamite .19 Mach 2 for 110$

What is the head temperature when it fails,could be too hot and binding☠
I'm not sure I'm a noob ? haha I got the truck for 70 dollars what would you say would be a good starer pack ? I'm open to any help

Turn the flywheel ,there should be a noticeable compression pinch as you turn it,if no noticeable hard to turn feeling when compression reaches the top then it's worn out,take out and inspect sleeve and piston for wear,also while it's out slide piston up into sleeve ,there should be resistance to travel up out of sleeve,if it slides right out,new sleeve and piston,Traxxas had program but I think you need original purchase receipt,you send them the engine they give you rebuilt engine replacement,call them if it's bad.

Temp is very important to monitor,do you have a tool to check it?

Turn the flywheel ,there should be a noticeable compression pinch as you turn it,if no noticeable hard to turn feeling when compression reaches the top then it's worn out,take out and inspect sleeve and piston for wear,also while it's out slide piston up into sleeve ,there should be resistance to travel up out of sleeve,if it slides right out,new sleeve and piston,Traxxas had program but I think you need original purchase receipt,you send them the engine they give you rebuilt engine replacement,call them if it's bad.
It has good compression that's for sure gets a good pinch

Small handheld temp

Attachments

• 15759138616341771696843.jpg
    15759138616341771696843.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 77
I'm not sure I'm a noob ? haha I got the truck for 70 dollars what would you say would be a good starer pack ? I'm open to any help
can get a temp gun from walmart for around 15$, going to need 8mm socket, i highly recommend getting a separate glow igniter, as see alot of the EZ starts giving lots of troubles to people. fuel bottle is nice to have but not neccesary, what controller did you get with the truck btw?
Temp is very important to monitor , but tune by performance not temp, you want to be between 220-270F. If its cutting put under throttle its lean, if it bogs down too rich. What fuel are you using btw?

can get a temp gun from walmart for around 15$, going to need 8mm socket, i highly recommend getting a separate glow igniter, as see alot of the EZ starts giving lots of troubles to people. fuel bottle is nice to have but not neccesary, what controller did you get with the truck btw?
Temp is very important to monitor , but tune by performance not temp, you want to be between 220-270F. If its cutting put under throttle its lean, if it bogs down too rich. What fuel are you using btw?
The remote is a basic Traxxas remote with reverse I'm not sure on the fuel it's red will get more information when I get home from work

The remote is a basic Traxxas remote with reverse I'm not sure on the fuel it's red will get more information when I get home from work
ok just try your best to stay away from traxxas fuels, too much oil, so it runs the engines hotter.
is it the black ones? or is it somewhat grey? if it is a grey one i would recommend in the near future upgrading to a 2.4ghz controller/receiver combo.

ok just try your best to stay away from traxxas fuels, too much oil, so it runs the engines hotter.
is it the black ones? or is it somewhat grey? if it is a grey one i would recommend in the near future upgrading to a 2.4ghz controller/receiver combo.
Ok on fuel and it's the black remote

Red fuel, probably O'Donnells. Should be good as long as it's not old.