Revo 2.5 Tuning Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival904

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright guys, its been a LONG time since I've been in the RC stuff.

Anyways, I came across a good deal on a Revo 2.5, guy couldn't get it to run, so I snatched it up.

I replaced the glow plug, got some fresh fuel, and got it to run finally.

But I still dont feel like its "right".

With factory settings, its rather sluggish, and wont even lift the front tires, with how its setup currently, I have the low speed needle about 1/8th way turned in, just shy of being flush. I have the high speed probably half a turn in from factory, it runs really well, and is very fast with these settings, however, the head gets very warm and once it runs out of fuel it doesn't want to start back up until its cooled down.

Also the body where the exhaust comes out, is covered with green oil it looks like, often dripping from the body

Any ideas on where to go from here? I remember we had alot of problems with my old Rustler with the 2.5 motor, so much to the point that once we replaced the motor it was 10x less of a headache.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are a lot of different things that could be going on. The oil on the body is a typical thing from what I have seen. As far as the engine not starting until it cools down, it could just be that the engine has some wear on it. From what traxxas advises, you should allow 15 minutes between runs anyhow. For the sluggish engine, it could be the lsn is a little rich. I could be wrong about the last one. But, as I always do, I make small adjustments until I get it right. You can always put the setting back where it was, or go the opposite direction and see what makes it better and worse. As you probably know, going too lean can kill the engine.. So, move the needles in small increments

It seems if i turn the HSN counter-clockwise(this will richen it up correct?) it wont start or if it does it dies very quickly after starting.

It seems if i turn the HSN counter-clockwise(this will richen it up correct?) it wont start or if it does it dies very quickly after starting.

it works just like a water valve on your kitchen sink, to right is less (lean) and to the left is more (rich)

The more I read on the 2.5 the more I am hearing how picky it is on fuel, what brand should I be running, or what brand has shown proven results?

The more I read on the 2.5 the more I am hearing how picky it is on fuel, what brand should I be running, or what brand has shown proven results?

As far as I know, a lot of people run byrons. I use the traxxas fuel since its all i can obtain. Monster fuel isnt so great though.. it clogged my carb up

Traxxas engines seem to run best on Traxxas fuel. Sounds like your too rich still. Lean the hsn in 1 hour increments, driving around 1-2 minutes to let the adjustment take. Watch your temps. Do this until the top end is good, with a good stream of smoke. Then adjust the lsn in 1/16th increments to get a good take off, or if it takes off good and idles smooth without loading up, leave the lsn alone.

Fuel won't make a huge difference. My trx mills just ran a little cooler with trx fuel. Other brands didn't make it run dangerously hot, just 5-10 degrees.

Back