RESPECT your RC heli

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats sad, RIP to him. Those things are huge and obviously dangerous, toy is not in their title.

That's definitely sad, RIP man. But I rank anything that's a leisure time activity as a toy, my motorcycles are toys, and they'll kill a lot faster than an RC heli, doesn't change how much respect I give them both though.

Far worse than I thought it would be. Here's the latest update from NBC News in New York:

A 19-year-old man playing with a remote control helicopter in Brooklyn lost control of it, sliced off the top of his own head and died Thursday afternoon, law enforcement officials said.
The helicopter enthusiast, identified by officials as Roman Pirozek Jr., and his father were in Calvert Vaux Park at Shore Parkway and Bay 44th Street in Gravesend.
Pirozek also sheared off part of his shoulder, officials said.
Witnesses told detectives Pirozek was performing a trick with the model helicopter when something went wrong, according to law enforcement officials.
The model helicopter was worth about $2,000.
Sources said friends of the victim told investigators he often performed risky tricks with model helicopters.
Pirozek's neighbors in Woodhaven, Queens said he worked at Kennedy Airport and was a quiet but "really good kid." They said he and his father flew model helicopters almost every weekend.
Pirozek's social media accounts were filled with references to his hobby of flying remote control helicopters. On Aug. 25, he wrote on his Facebook page, "Great day for flying, the new frame brace is working great, breaking in some new packs I just got, they are the best that I have flown so far and loving them."

I taped his photo to my mosquito and flew it as high as I could for a full charge. "good bye r/c stunt copter pilot!

Very sad to hear. It's easy to forget with all the fun we have with our "toys" that they can be dangerous ones at that.

Play safe everyone!

WOW is all that comes to mind right now, this is one of those things that we think could never happen.

It's sad, but at least it was the pilot and not a bystander. I know they said that the park was approved by NY for flying RCs, I wonder if they had any signs letting people know. I'm not one for the whole over protection, but people don't realize the power and danger that come with any high performance RC. When I worked at my old LHS, everyone wanted to start with the 700 & 800 sized helis because they saw the owner's behind the counter. We would warn them about the dangers of the larger ones but they didn't change their mind until we brought up the price difference between a 400 and 700 (especially after a crash).

I can't believe they used the word "whirlybird" to describe such a horrid event, cuz that word always makes me chuckle.

Another article headline stated the teenager was playing with a toy helicopter.

NOT a toy. He was doing stunts with the Align 700 TREX. He had $2000 in it.

Back