removing a rounded screw

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laton7

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
To most of you RC gurus this will probably sound like a very noobish question to ask but I'v been looking and can't find any where that says how to do this.
I bought my MERV second hand and I was just replacing the Toe Links and Hollow Balls as there was a bit of play in the joints but the rear hex screws that hold them in place have been rounded by the previous owner so I haven't a hope in hell of getting them out. Any pointers on how to get these out?

Cut a notch in the screw head allowing you to use a flat head screw driver, use a screw extractor or drill the head of the screw off and then use pliers to unscrew the screw.

I usually have an older set of hex drivers around, so I usually tap a slightly larger driver in with a small hammer. Then I loosen the offending hex-screw.

Another way is to use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut a slot in it and use a small jeweler's screwdriver to temove it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I have a set of ez out bits that work for the most part. And when they wont i do what was mentioned above. Notch the head with a dremil and use a flathead screwdriver.

If you can get at the head of the screw, a small pair of vice grips will get it done. Otherwise I would do as suggested above starting with the notch.

wow thanks that's brilliant guys :D. I tried tapping another hex bit in but because of the positioning I didn't want to hit it to hard in case of damaging my pride and joy.
The head of the screw was oval so I couldn't use any sort of clamping.
As I don't know what I Dremel is I couldn't use that method ( What is a Dremel :p?)
So I drilled it out and then managed to get a part off so I could grip the thread with a pair of pliers and unscrew it that way.
Again many thanks to all you guys for your help and hopefully this will help others on this forum too :D

cut a notch in the screw head allowing you to use a flat head screw driver, use a screw extractor or drill the head of the screw off and then use pliers to unscrew the screw.

...1+....

Back