Removable pull starter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoker100

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
While messing with an alternative starting methods i decided to make the pull start permanently removable (so you can start the engine then remove the pull starter completely), here are the pro’s and cons:

PRO’s:
- No 1 way bearing reducing power output
- Less weight
- Less things to break when you crash
- Reversible mod (if you don’t like it put it back the way it was)

CON’s:
- If not fitted flush to the back plate of the engine it may cause wear on the crank
- May be more difficult to start
- need to hold it on to start

These are the steps I took on my sportwerks chaos (I'm only posting because i haven’t seen it done before):

1) remove pull starter (usually 4 screws)
2) glue in 1 way bearing (just so it wont fall out but remember you may need to replace it one day)
3) find 4 slightly larger screws (ones that will just thread into the pull starter holes)
4) modify the screws so its threaded near the head and rounded near the tip (the threaded end screws into the pull starter, the rounded ends go into the holes where the starter was screwed in) remember the rounded holes need to be rounded enough to fit past the thread, so for 3mm screws you should round the ends of the screws to 2.4mm, for 4mm you should round them to 3.2mm.
5) screw into the pull starter all 4 modified screws and test fit on the engine (you want the starter to fit flush like it did before but be easy to pull off after starting it)
6) if you so desire you can put a magnet on the pull starter so it will stay on the engine when cranking but you should still hold it there by hand

remember to do this mod you need enough room to pull the starter off from the engine, (so there needs to be room behind the starter). i haven’t had the opportunity to test mine yet but ill let people know how it goes and post pics if anyone’s interested.

If theres not enough room you may be able to further modify the pull starter to be narrower, you may also then need to trim the end off your crank, (but that’s no longer an easily reversible mod).

i dont want to criticize you but the magnet thing will not work because your engine block is made out of aluminium, magnet wont stick to it.

I would keep the pull start on, They aren't really heavy, IMO it's really light, including the backplate.

i agree with coby seems like it would just be better to leave on