redcat the real $300.00 or less bargain???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know this has been beat to death on EVERY forum i am sure lol. Is there any nitro that is worth checking out that is under 300? I was looking at the shockwave but i heard it tends to be hard to keep running but i am sure this could be do to a new user not knowing how and why we brake in motors. I then looked at the one that is the same but has metal shock bodies, upgraded tune pipe and it has a 2 speed . I have read so many threads that people have issues with the 2 speed . I think they have a monster truck that is 199.99 with a .18 not sure if that has the 2 speed i was looking at one of those then there 1/8 with . 21 motors seam nice but there is little info i could find and i have 20 percent and i rather run 30 percent with those and a cold/mid plug and i have hot plugs that i just place my order for so i think by default i have to stick to 1/10 and smaller block motors. i came in to a few bucks more so i moved on to a better company. I am not saying redcat is bad or they have bad part support cause i see parts all over the internet and my lhs has a few on there peg board as well.

Redcat is not a really well-supported brand. They have very little aftermarket support. You're better off saving a bit longer and buying a more well-known and supported brand like HPI, Losi, Associated or Traxxas.

Redcat is not a really well-supported brand. They have very little aftermarket support. You're better off saving a bit longer and buying a more well-known and supported brand like HPI, Losi, Associated or Traxxas.

I will have to respectively disagree on the aftermarket support. Between exceed, red cat and HSP, I never had a problem getting parts. HSP parts are half the price and are identical. And eBay is flooded with so many parts for these brands.

As for the vehicle its self, they are cheap, but you do get what you pay for..
There cheaply made, and they will tend to break more then Name brands.
I started with a volcano s30 and was literally buying parts every week. Dog bones drive cups grub screws servo savor new tires. New wheel hex nuts. You name it.
And brakes suck on those!!
I did get the two speed tranny from the tornado and threw it in mine and it was fast. I mean Fast once it hit second gear. And I never had issues with mine besides my one stripped out spur gear.
I've put more gas through my ofna in the first two days then I did my volcano the two months I owned it.and its ten times more durable!
And haven't changed anything that wasn't my fault on the ofna.
Some was noob and user error on the red cat, but I was always having issues!
You can find a decent Rtr 1/8th "name brand" buggy for under 200 on eBay
I paid 130 for my ofna and have loved it since I got it!

That's my two cents

---------- Post added at 5:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:55 AM ----------

Here is my 130 dollar investment!
20131217_150542_zpswltxatlg.jpg

I will have to respectively disagree on the aftermarket support. Between exceed, red cat and HSP, I never had a problem getting parts. HSP parts are half the price and are identical. And eBay is flooded with so many parts for these brands.

Just because you can get STOCK parts doesn't mean they have aftermarket support. Aftermarket support is when OTHER companies make parts/upgrades for the vehicle. If I wasn't able to upgrade my Rusty like I have, I would never be able to drive it like I do. Traxxas never expected their 2wd ST to be launched like I do or go bashing with (and run over by) 1/5 scale rigs.

Just because you can get STOCK parts doesn't mean they have aftermarket support. Aftermarket support is when OTHER companies make parts/upgrades for the vehicle. If I wasn't able to upgrade my Rusty like I have, I would never be able to drive it like I do. Traxxas never expected their 2wd ST to be launched like I do or go bashing with (and run over by) 1/5 scale rigs.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will retract my comment that they do.
I agree there is no aftermarket support at ALL!
again thank you for clearing that up
Still learning!:)

Oh i did, i got a sc10gt. Nice truck i just wanted to see if there was anything worth checking out

---------- Post added at 2:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:05 PM ----------

As for the vehicle its self, they are cheap, but you do get what you pay for..
There cheaply made, and they will tend to break more then Name brands.
I started with a volcano s30 and was literally buying parts every week. Dog bones drive cups grub screws servo savor new tires. New wheel hex nuts. You name it.
And brakes suck on those!!
I did get the two speed tranny from the tornado and threw it in mine and it was fast. I mean Fast once it hit second gear. And I never had issues with mine besides my one stripped out spur gear.
I've put more gas through my ofna in the first two days then I did my volcano the two months I owned it.and its ten times more durable!
And haven't changed anything that wasn't my fault on the ofna.
Some was noob and user error on the red cat, but I was always having issues!
You can find a decent Rtr 1/8th "name brand" buggy for under 200 on eBay
I paid 130 for my ofna and have loved it since I got it!

That's my two cents

---------- Post added at 5:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 5:55 AM ----------

Here is my 130 dollar investment!
20131217_150542_zpswltxatlg.jpg

I agree on ebay there is so many parts and there like 2 or 3.00 shipped or so. I have heard most people might go out bashing for the day and just strip a gear or parts fall off and it could be from just basic driving around in a open lot. Nice pick up you got, i went with a new rtr sc10gt 2.4. I never had a sc and the idea seams cool i bet it will be fun. I do not beat up my rcs i do not even jump them. I more or less go threw the wear and tear parts. I never broke any thing from a crash or jumps etc. I think i went threw a few servos on a duratrax raze a few years back. Now that was a pos 1/8 scale . Man it was crap

Lol don't say that, as I'm about to finish building the one I just got a week ago. Seems pretty similar to the ofna I have. To me seems pretty durable to me but we will see.
What went wrong with yours?
I jump mine a little, I'm just learning how too, only flipped a few times nothing high.

Lol don't say that, as I'm about to finish building the one I just got a week ago. Seems pretty similar to the ofna I have. To me seems pretty durable to me but we will see.
What went wrong with yours?
I jump mine a little, I'm just learning how too, only flipped a few times nothing high.

raze? Well i got the first run that came out. The tune pipe was dinged from the start. All the electronics failed and the whole buggy felt cheap not just based on the cheap electronics. I had to put a heavy duty steering servo to even make it around a on road oval track me and a friend would race on each weekend. It was a basic sat bash and the raze was not good. I did like the motor it could run on the lean side and still do well. I sold that off many many years ago to the guy i use to race with. I have had so many nitro's not going to lie pretty much all the major players over the years. All the top monster trucks you can think of i had and stadium trucks as well. A few on roads but i never had the spot to run 70 mph in a line so i got out after a few weeks. I have a lot of bad nitro rc over the year. I even got a few of those towerhobbies st-15 . I wish you good luck

Well I will definitely keep you posted, I have a Futaba for throttle and steering and they have no issues, the one I have is really similar to my ofna, and feels built the same build and durability wise, but I won't know until I try it! Just waiting on a package in the mail and I will let you know what I think.

Well I will definitely keep you posted, I have a Futaba for throttle and steering and they have no issues, the one I have is really similar to my ofna, and feels built the same build and durability wise, but I won't know until I try it! Just waiting on a package in the mail and I will let you know what I think.

After a few servo issues i went all out with a high end Futaba, that helped. I was on a basic on road track me and a friend would race. I would find when i hit the turn i had to hold it tight as he had more power doing this i would strip the gears in side servo. Kinda funny i lost control and it spun out for a good 40 feet and then hit a grass spot/mud. I really do not like any of there older stuff, i did look at some there new models they look to be ok. I think the one thing i like is the part support but to be honest from what i went threw with there rtr there no better or worse then anyone you might get for 150-250.00 range. Now keep in mind this is over 7 years ago so things might of changed . I did like the motor like is said it had a nice low end punch to it, it had a nice tone as well. I am thinking of getting a 1/8 buggy but i have this new truck on its way so i will spend time with it. I live on the east coast and it is not good this time of the year. It is snowing now so i rather not invest a large sum of money in to getting my nitro fix again. Now you said you have one on its way? Did you buy it threw ebay, or maybe a trade ? I know i seen them for sale a few years back i was at a hobby store this was ummm maybe 4 or 5 years ago and i kinda said to my self not again not again. I seen a 229.99 price and i think they where giving a free redcat starter kit and a quart of fuel. Like a full set up.

After a few servo issues i went all out with a high end Futaba, that helped. I was on a basic on road track me and a friend would race. I would find when i hit the turn i had to hold it tight as he had more power doing this i would strip the gears in side servo. Kinda funny i lost control and it spun out for a good 40 feet and then hit a grass spot/mud. I really do not like any of there older stuff, i did look at some there new models they look to be ok. I think the one thing i like is the part support but to be honest from what i went threw with there rtr there no better or worse then anyone you might get for 150-250.00 range. Now keep in mind this is over 7 years ago so things might of changed . I did like the motor like is said it had a nice low end punch to it, it had a nice tone as well. I am thinking of getting a 1/8 buggy but i have this new truck on its way so i will spend time with it. I live on the east coast and it is not good this time of the year. It is snowing now so i rather not invest a large sum of money in to getting my nitro fix again. Now you said you have one on its way? Did you buy it threw ebay, or maybe a trade ? I know i seen them for sale a few years back i was at a hobby store this was ummm maybe 4 or 5 years ago and i kinda said to my self not again not again. I seen a 229.99 price and i think they where giving a free redcat starter kit and a quart of fuel. Like a full set up.

I actually have mine, waiting on parts to complete it. I paid like 55 or 65 or something for that another 1/8th small block I tore down for future parts and a good tower hobbies .25 a decent TH .25 and an hpi .15 with 6 tires.so I really don't have a lot into it, and I'm sure I'll be more then happy with it.
The one that I run every day is the picture I showed you.
Its a 9.5 violator, I absolutely love it. Its pretty durable, hasn't really broken anything major just a rim and 2 wings and some servos due to water. I run it all winter long with no issues orcompression loss. She sings!

The one I have on the way is a brand new Tamiya TRF 801XT Truggy kit. Paid 99.99 for it should hopefully have it here by tomorrow!

I actually have mine, waiting on parts to complete it. I paid like 55 or 65 or something for that another 1/8th small block I tore down for future parts and a good tower hobbies .25 a decent TH .25 and an hpi .15 with 6 tires.so I really don't have a lot into it, and I'm sure I'll be more then happy with it.
The one that I run every day is the picture I showed you.
Its a 9.5 violator, I absolutely love it. Its pretty durable, hasn't really broken anything major just a rim and 2 wings and some servos due to water. I run it all winter long with no issues orcompression loss. She sings!

The one I have on the way is a brand new Tamiya TRF 801XT Truggy kit. Paid 99.99 for it should hopefully have it here by tomorrow!

I wish you good luck with your build i really do. Ya know i thought about buying on ebay, see i buy on there everyday. I hate to buy used stuff, i got burnt a few years back on a jato that motor was on its last leg. I all so play the guitar and i bought one and i tell ya it was not very good. I know you got a good deal i would love to get a top running nitro for 100-150.00 to my door. I have a local shop that is way over priced on there used section. I check craigslist and it is even worse on there lol. I think for me i am in a better money spot now a days so i do not have to buy used. I have my truck that should be here in the next 4-6 days. My starter set came today and i have everything but my new rtr to get back in to this hobby. I do have to get the receiver pack i have one i will get . I have my Ebay bucks that is do for tomorrow so i will get the last thing i need which after run oil. I do not mind to brake my new rc with normal double AA batteries. I got a 16 pack so it should get me threw brake in. I might not have the after run oil in time but i will only have it sit a few days and i am using traxxas top fuel. I know they say no after run oil is needed if you do not store your nitro for more then a week. So i will just start it up a few days after brake in/tune. I do want a 1/8 buggy , ya know i seen a 1/5 truck at the LHS it was a redcat i think new in box its like 7-800.00. They wanted 500.00 and it looked nice but with this hobby i think it comes down to the motor and the life it has left. I might try to see if they would take 425.00 i doubt it but i will keep to my idea to buy another rc in the spring. It would be cool to have a massive monster truck.

The ofna violator I got I was directed to by nitrorc nerd, he has been so much help! Generally you can go by the chassis, if its beat so is the motor, I got lucky as I got a great deal on my buggy, 130 shipped with a GREAT MOTOR! Haven't had any issues at all!
My first nitro ever(volcano s30) was barely running when I got it as well!: ( I put like 300 into that dang thing! Sold it finally! And haven't looked back since! I'll be getting my parts tomorrow! And my 801xt was set back to Saturday sadly:(
I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow as I'm going over my ofna, I had a big road block today but got it fixed!
I feel as if the raze will be similar as well in durability!
I reality I got my ofna for 130 shipped and my duratrax for 50 shipped just missing a few parts!
I made out good!
Watch out for a thread tomorrow!

Back