RC tow behind lawn mower idea questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a couple Nylint Scorpion 1/6TH scale crawlers, and i have been wanting to build a tow behind electric mower for them for awhile now, but, i am stuck on a couple of issues. One, i plan to build it roughly 14"x14", using lexan sheet for the deck, but, i dont know much about lexan, so, first question, anyone have a clue what the minimum thickness should be? I want it to be strong enough for things to not break through if it happens to hit something, but, also keep weight as low as possible. Next question, does anyone make a standalone brushless motor controller that will run the motor without needing an ESC, radio, and receiver? I know they make adjustable controllers for brushed motors, but i havent found one for BL motors. Since the Scorpion doesn't have an actual ESC and receiver, i can't just connect another ESC to it to run the motor(s). My plan is to use one or two GoolRC 3660 3800KV motors i already have. My plan is to just run these couplers: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-H12D1...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= and some 1/16" or 1/8" flat steel sharpened on both edges and bolted to the couplers for the blades. Any other thoughts on things i might be missing?

I have a couple Nylint Scorpion 1/6TH scale crawlers, and i have been wanting to build a tow behind electric mower for them for awhile now, but, i am stuck on a couple of issues. One, i plan to build it roughly 14"x14", using lexan sheet for the deck, but, i dont know much about lexan, so, first question, anyone have a clue what the minimum thickness should be? I want it to be strong enough for things to not break through if it happens to hit something, but, also keep weight as low as possible. Next question, does anyone make a standalone brushless motor controller that will run the motor without needing an ESC, radio, and receiver? I know they make adjustable controllers for brushed motors, but i havent found one for BL motors. Since the Scorpion doesn't have an actual ESC and receiver, i can't just connect another ESC to it to run the motor(s). My plan is to use one or two GoolRC 3660 3800KV motors i already have. My plan is to just run these couplers: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-H12D10-Coupling-Coupler-Connector/dp/B07PLB2P4W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1CBLYO4EO21NT&keywords=5mm+motor+coupler&qid=1648117321&sprefix=5mm+motor+coupler,aps,80&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyR1FGQTNTUENCTzU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDEwOTY1M1Q2TzVUNExDT0FFMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDQwMjQ2M003WThVVTMzWFBUTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= and some 1/16" or 1/8" flat steel sharpened on both edges and bolted to the couplers for the blades. Any other thoughts on things i might be missing?
If you just want the motor to be on or off, just wire a switch in a battery lead.

Or maybe you can use a Flysky GT5 and plug an ESC into channel 4 and use the chsnnel 4 switch as an on-off. Never tried this. Maybe @tntpoof would know.

Oh, and you're going to want a pulley system from the motor to the spindle driving the blade. And you should probably add an idler pulley in the mix to absorb any impact with obstacles or tough patches of grass.

Last edited:
Oh, and you're going to want a pulley system from the motor to the spindle driving the blade. And you should probably add an idler pulley in the mix to absorb any impact with obstacles or tough patches of grass.
My plan is to just run the blade directly off the motor, the same way push mowers are set up. I found a cordless push mower today, so i might just modify that as a tow behind.

My plan is to just run the blade directly off the motor, the same way push mowers are set up. I found a cordless push mower today, so i might just modify that as a tow behind.
That would be better.

That would be better.
The cordless mower idea fell through, so, I'm back to my original idea, which is to run a BL motor with a coupler. After finding these plastic blades though: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09923Q2L...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl I think I'm going to just see about attaching those to the coupler. This is the coupler I'm thinking about: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-H12D1...eb38a7b0d&pd_rd_wg=Ggb8M&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi My thought is just drill two equally spaced holes in the plastic blades, and mount them directly on the coupler. Now i just need to figure out an easy way to run the motor. One idea i had was just to build a box, stick a receiver and ESC in it, and, using a separate radio than the one that controls the car,
just turn the throttle trim all the way up, but, there would be no way to quickly shut it off if need be.