rc pit toolbox/table

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedticket75

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
does anyone make such a thing as a portable rc pit toolbox/table combo ? I'm gona buildone if i caint find one......I've looked online for 3 evenings & found no such thing.......i have dond drawed up plans for one....

Several people at the track use the bottom half of a rolling tool box. The only issue they have is getting it out of their truck or van. Usually take two or a ramp.

i have been looking for the same thing....I'm thinking of maybe using one of those hand toolboxes if i can find one that will work right for me. main things are, i want to be able to have a power panel and a section that holds my rc, and another section for the controller...if you dont mind...keep me posted on anything you come up with, and i will do the same

*edit*
i just ran across this...i bit large for my needs though
http://www.rcprobox.com/

Last edited:
i just finnished building one......cost about 40$ for everything

speedticket75 said:
i just finnished building one......cost about 40$ for everything

Gotta show it off, where's the pics?

the one i have is similar but got from wallmart but i use the bottom section to store tires & rims......the middle swivel or turn tray i use to store small parts.......the top section has my field charger/battery mounted that i allready had from when i flew planes, and on the sides i have mounted a bicycle drink bottle holder to the left & right side...one holds my fuel bottle & the other holds my cleaner spray bottle........the pullout tray in the top part holds my wrenching tools........on the back i mounted a square peice of plywood with hinges and 2 hinged legs to use for a worktable.....when i want to use it i just lift it up and lock the legs in place.....underneath the top lid i mounted a small battery powered florescent light for light if i need it........the 2 small compartments on the very top i use to store charging leads and my glow starter........ill post some pictures in a day or 3

Last edited:
here are some progress pictures i took as i was doing the project......ill post the rest of the pictures when i get them from wallmart......the lines that look like cuts close to the mounted charger aint cuts.......they are ink marks that i was too lazy to clean off.......the bottom section has 2 extra sets of tires/rims for my savage & the radio in it......the radio has a case but i left it off so the tires could be seen in the picture.......

Last edited:
nice work speedticket. i was at wal-mart tonight and saw the "field boxes", but i can't afford to get one just yet. I'm gonna wait till i can afford to get a power panel and battery, and a fuel pump. that way i'll be able to put it all together at the same time. what batteries do ya'll recommend for the power panel, and whats a good charger for the battery?

I'm using two 6v batteries (sealed lead type nonspillable) that are 4.5A each hooked togather in series.......the charger I'm using is a 120VAC to 12VDC that is 500mA 12VDC output having the round male pin type thing that plugs into a female charging jack to charge the 6V batteries.......the charging jack i got from a rechargable spotlight that didnt work anymore & the batteries can be bought at wallmart in the toy powerwheels toy section for about, i think, 12$ each but they last a while..........I've used these for a few years charging my plane battery packs when i used to fly now I'm using them for rc cars/trucks till they play out then ill get some more.......forgot to say that those 6V batteries are 20hr batteries....sposta last 20hrs of use before having to be recharged.....i may be adding a small DCV meter to the circiut later on if i can find one lying around somewhere to make it easier to tell when the batteries are fully charged or need recharged.......thats a maybe.......

Last edited:
yeah, a volt meter would be a good idea, ill add that to my list. i was thinking more along the lines of a single 12v, like a gel cell or something for flight-boxes. i can't wait till i can start putting all this together. and if my rc will fit in the top area, i just dont see how it could get much more perfect...also, do you have any pics of the table you said you added? also, do those pouches on the front come off, or would they be easy to get off if i wanted?(just dont know how they are attached to the box)...tpo bad they're not big enough to hold a radio, that'd be a perfect spot

Last edited:
Make sure you set the boxes right when you clamp em together...I let one side get tucked in a lil furhter and thought it would hold....as soon as I tilted it to roll the thing just separated and spilled my crap all over......I just use milk crates and a Plano 777 tacklebox now......

rs4evo said:
yeah, a volt meter would be a good idea, ill add that to my list. i was thinking more along the lines of a single 12v, like a gel cell or something for flight-boxes. i can't wait till i can start putting all this together. and if my rc will fit in the top area, i just dont see how it could get much more perfect...also, do you have any pics of the table you said you added? also, do those pouches on the front come off, or would they be easy to get off if i wanted?(just dont know how they are attached to the box)...tpo bad they're not big enough to hold a radio, that'd be a perfect spot

using the 2 6v batteries i listed is better than the single 12v.......its cheaper, gives you a longer use between recharges, is not afected by temperature changes as much as the single gellcell, and charges your battery packs a little better......the gellcell 12v cost about 30-60$ & for 2 of the 6v i listed cost about 24$ for both.......the poutches on the front of the box does come off....i left it on cause i can use the thing for setup sheets, referance material or other papers.......you could take it off & put a tackle thing on there with a good lid for aditional small parts if you wanted to but i allready have places to store small parts allready there......i have more pictures of the field box from different sides but havent had time to pick them up from wallmart yet but soon as i can ill post them.......

Plaidfish said:
Make sure you set the boxes right when you clamp em together...I let one side get tucked in a lil furhter and thought it would hold....as soon as I tilted it to roll the thing just separated and spilled my crap all over......I just use milk crates and a Plano 777 tacklebox now......

the toolbox i got has fairly deep lip and som ribs there the top section rest in the bottom section.......i got that one just for that reason......

Last edited:
2 more pictures.......1 picture shows the batteries installed and the in pannel picture if you look to the left of the quickcharger you will see a small black charging jack for charging the bateries that run the quickcharger.......the batteries & inside part of the quickcharger will have a lid over it so i can still use part of that side for storage.......havent built the lid for it yet but if you look close you can see that it works.......the power red led is on and 2 charging greens are on........

Last edited:
last pictures.......the 5in*5in*5in grey box to the left of the first picture is the gellcell battery inclosure to keep the battery from sliding all over the toolbox and to protect everything just in case of a battery leak........I'm not posting the table picture cause the table idear i done wasn't sturdy enough.......tried using it & the whole thing fell over when i tried wrenching.......gota figer out some other idear fer the table.....

Last edited:
Back