quick help! 2 speed!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnage_uk

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just installed the 2 speed on my rs4 3. I think I've done it wrongly! Both sets of gears are touching and when started both move both the big and small gears! I don't think this is meant to happen. It is now going slower than when it had one speed, probably because of extra friction.

Please help asap

Both gears are suposed to move.The only thing you can really screw up on that two speed is installing the finger clutch backwards.The directions are not that clear on the on the finger clutch.Keep messing with it and adjusting it to see if it shifts.If it doesn't then take it apart and check everything.

yeah the instructions are as clear as mud, will try ajusting the shift point now. This will probably make no sense because I don't know what its called but the thing that spins inside the smaller gear ( where you ajust the shift point was I meant to put a spring in because I have a smal spring left over. The thing thats worried me is the fact that its slower than with a 1 speed.

Please help

ok need a quick answer If you look at the pic ( if it works) the silver clutch thing fits inside the other circular silver thing ( not ver technical terms :ponder: ) Do you need the little spring inside the smaller silver circle? Please answer if that makes sense

heres the pic

Attachments

• aa.bmp
    433.2 KB · Views: 187
Some help

Hey Carnage, If I am right the instructions have an update to the kit that will tell you to the hole that it doesn't originally suggest. My kit came with two springs. Which left me sorely confused. However I beleive it did say to sue the black one. I can't remember exactly which one I was supposed to use. There was an update to that kit though. You should look on the www.hpiracing.com website. Actually even better follow this link
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/72516n_2sp/I-72516-P1.jpg

My kit came with two springs and it said to use only the black spring for high performance in the outer hole. The middle hole so to speak is where you tightent it down to the middle pilot shaft thing. Late

P.S. You might want to hold onto that other spring. It would be a cheep way to make a front one way diff for when that day comes that you have it apart.

cheers that helped alot, I think its set up, how will I know if its working. I have ajusted it to engage pretty late. Sometimes Its realy slugish but sometimes takes of like it used to!

Also more problems finding loads of nitro methane round the seal of the pull start and on the chassis! Any ideas? As soon as I get the 2 speed sorted I'm getting a new engine :boxing: .

Well to truly know if the two speed is shifting you will need to lift the car up and put under load. Lift up the car and give it full throttle. You should to tell when it shifts. From there you willl be able to tell when it will shift. Late

If your using the .15Fe you need to use the silver spring.The black spring is for the 12rSS and it's stiffer.You can use the black springs but you will have to loosen the set screw alot and it may fall out after a while.Switch the spring to the silver one and go over the 2speed again since it's allready apart and make sure it is assembled right.I can't remember where my manual is but but you need to set a starting point.Turn the setscrew in all the way(don't over tighten or you will damage the spring) then back it off 2 full turns.This should be a good starting point and it should shift like this.It may be to early but it should still shift.If not make sure your engine is tuned properly and the 2speed is put together right.

My bad and my apologies on the black spring. I have the SS and that's what I gave you instructions for. Sorry for the bad advice no harm was meant.

AAAHHHHHHH !!! I am so angry, Just ran the car and it wasn't running right looked at the 2 speed, when the 2nd gear was engaged the bigger gear on the drive shaft stopped spinning and the small gear on the engine was still spinning, thus destroying teeth on the large gear on the drive shaft.

Does anyone understand this? I turned the engine of immediately but now when I push the car along (when not running) there is soooooo much more friction.

What do I need to do?

Cheers

Does your car roll backwards??? Your adjustment screw may have backed out... Just doesn't sound right. I'd take your 2 speed apart and double check the direction of the inner part.

Back