question on shock oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike02vr6

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was just wondering if there is a possiblity of using other oils for shock oil. while wrenchin on my tmaxx i happen to find a full quart of mystery oil and was wondering if that would be possible to use? or is there another use on my maxx for this part?

although, technically any type of oil could be used, you run into the problem of tuning properly. By using correct shock oil, it will give you specific weights, i.e. 40wt, 55wt, ect.... When using proper shock oil, you are able to tune each shock evenly, and amake adjustments, when using "mystery" oil, you have no idea of its weight, and therefor cannot be sure as to how to adjust the shocks if their performance dwindles.

In theory you could use any fluid you would like to in your shocks. The manufacturers have developed special oils/ silicons for this purpose that are inexpensive and work great. They go to great extremes to make different weights of oil to fine tune your shocks and suspension. I believe in doing something right and doing it well.

Marvel Mystery Oil can be used as after run oil if you want, but again they make oils just for this and I recommend that you get a brand that is designed for using as an after run.

ahhh ok thanks guys...any idea of what the stock oil is for my tmaxx? I think in another thread I was in someone said 35 ..but they told me not to quote them..(I know I know I did quote em..but didnt give the name..lol) I am off to my LHS to get some oil. I have seen rocks w/better personalities than this guy. But he seems to be the only one open today.

LOL...Damn you. You weren't supposed to quote me. Now, I'm gonna have to kill you.

see you let the cat outta the bag...I didnt say it was sky...good thing too..my lhs only had 30 or 40....
I went w/the 30 right now...just cause I am lazy and it was closest...lol...sorry sky next time I will keep my mouth shut...

LMAO...it's all good. Quoting others is how newbies get to be experts. The sharing of information is a good thing. And please, don't clam up on my account. You never know, you may have something to share that we all want to hear.

:worship: ok just one more question when I put my maxx back together (front) I replaced all the shocks the only difference is that I went up one more hole (so the susp is a lil softer) now the truck sits cockeyed the left arm doesn't move as much as the right one now(if you look at the arms the right arm has more of a downward angle and the left is more flat almost like a road car) not really sure why

This is where a picture might help out more than the description. Could you take a picture? If so, can you post it? Thanks.

Originally posted by Mike02vr6
: I replaced all the shocks

now the truck sits cockeyed the left arm doesn't move as much as the right one now(if you look at the arms the right arm has more of a downward angle and the left is more flat almost like a road car) not really sure why

You replaced your shocks as in bought new ones, or put them back on? It sounds like one or more may not be properly filled or bled properly, causing the truck to sag on the side with the affected shock(s)

NC nope just rebuilt the shocks. it appears as if the front suspesion doesn't move as much on one side as it does on the other. I am gonna pull the shocks off again today and see whast goin on...I hope I dont have to rebuild them all again...they all came out about the same distance when Ichecked them.

Back