Protecting the inside of my truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theraggyone

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Took my 1/8 truggy out yesterday . It was drizzling and the ground was wet . After about an hour bashing at the dirt jumps my car was a filthy mess both outside and inside ,so I'm after some advice as cleaning the inside of it was a nightmare . Is there something universal available like an over tray to keep some of the filth off all the mechanical/electrical components ?

If not does anyone have any tips for creating a decent homemade one? Or as a last resort could I get an extra large shower cap and just stretch that over the top or would that cause heat issues? ( I'm not racing just bashing)
IMG_20180911_152139.jpg
IMG_20180911_152019.jpg
IMG_20180911_152058.jpg

@Theraggyone looks like you had a great time, but now you gotta pay for all that fun cleaning it. ;)

I'm not aware of anything made specifically for your Hobbyking Basher Sabertooth truggy, but one option would be to fit it with one of the universal Dusty Motors shrouds.

Another option would be to get a piece of Lexan and cut it to make mud shields/guards that attach to the inside of your chassis using velrco or double sided tape.

Neither option will keep mud completely out of your RC truggy but will certainly help.

The dusty motor shrouds look awesome but I've got no side walls to mount the velcro tape to fit it? might have to get creative and make side shields first then if they work fit a shroud. It was a nightmare cleaning it all up last night and it's wet 8 months of the year in England at least lol

Last edited:
The dusty motor shrouds look awesome but I've got no side walls to mount the velcro tape to fit it?

You could attach the shroud velcro directly to the top of the chassis.

For the lexan mud guards, heat up the lexan to make 90 degree angles which you could then attach double sided tape.

I'm going to measure my chassis and order one when I get home from work they look perfect at least then I can peel that off and wash that instead , much easier. I'm sure I can find a way to attach it anyway. Thanks

Honestly, for my bash rigs that are listed as waterproof (and a quick Google search says your electronics are, but double check for yourself based on your exact model), I just remove the wheels and tires and spray them off. Use an assortment of brushes, and stiff bristle brush first to get the big stuff off before you start spraying it down. Then use an air compressor to dry, and make sure you lube your bearings, bushings, etc when done. Most wheels and tires have vent holes in the rims, so you have to be a little more careful with those, as the foams will soak up water just like a sponge, and you'll never get it out of there. I would put gorilla tape over the vent holes, then wash the wheels and tires separately.

I'm familiar with mud, even had my packs inside a zip lock baggie. :)

2B3bc.jpg

Thanks for the advice. It says esc, motor and servo are waterproof and I've fitted my reciever in a waterproof box so I'm pretty sure it will be ok but it is low cost hobbyking .

Electrics and water always makes me doubious I've no doubt it would be fine in mud, rain puddles etc but not so sure about direct water from hose or shower

Thanks for the advice. It says esc, motor and servo are waterproof and I've fitted my reciever in a waterproof box so I'm pretty sure it will be ok but it is low cost hobbyking .

Electrics and water always makes me doubious I've no doubt it would be fine in mud, rain puddles etc but not so sure about direct water from hose or shower

I can understand that. And obviously, it's up to each person to decide the amount of risk they're willing to take. I'm not saying to submerge the rig, but spraying off has never harmed anything that was even labeled splash resistant (my old TRX gear), at least for me. I'm all about work smarter, not harder. Cleanup has never been as easy as this. That's the same rig I posted above by the way.

uULyVX9.jpg

Dr
I can understand that. And obviously, it's up to each person to decide the amount of risk they're willing to take. I'm not saying to submerge the rig, but spraying off has never harmed anything that was even labeled splash resistant (my old TRX gear), at least for me. I'm all about work smarter, not harder. Cleanup has never been as easy as this. That's the same rig I posted above by the way.

uULyVX9.jpg
Awesome I'm definitely gonna use the shower next time and just be careful. Thanks

Back