Proper way to add shock oil & what weight do you rec?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_brown

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just bought some Hot Bodies Aluminum Shocks for the beast and they don't come with oil. Can someone advise me on what oil and weight to use and also briefly describe how to put it in...ie, compress the shock all the way and fill or depress it all the way and add oil.

I run off-road mainly and do some small jumps to where the truck will be 3 or 4 ft in the air.

Thanks in advance!

Well. With aluminium shocks you dont want to use a to heavy of an oil or they can blow out. Sounds strange but I've seen it happend. Try staying under a 40 weight. With stock being 10wt, try using a 25-30. I use 30 w/ stockers and is much better.

Fill the shocks in the fully extended mode to about 3-4mm from the top. Then compress the shock up and down to eliminate the bubbles. Hope that helps:thumbup:

I also have the HB Aluminums. I found the springs that came with them where way too soft. I used my stock HPI Black stiff springs and 15 wt shock oil. (I would think that 20wt to 30wt would be better in hign-site though) I did have to crank my shocks in the back to almost alll the way stiff. The front is about mid-point. They work really good in the woopps compared to the stockers. Much better response, ie, they dont pump down by too slow of rebound dampiing.

Too put the oil in, Remove the cap and fill the shock all the way too the top. Pump very slowly the plunger up then down. Work the bubbles to the top. Then re-topp off the shock. Screw the cap on, and work it a couple time to be sure it's smooth.

Now you got 7 more to go! Time for a brew! Finish all 8 shocks and take napp!

Attachments

• air borne (2).jpg
    air borne (2).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 140
Cool, thx for the help.

Alright, I get these shocks installed along with a few other things and take the truck to a friend's house to ride around.

We each take turns riding wheelies and enjoying the picco 26 power and after 3/4 of a tank i bring 'er in for a refuel. It was then that I notice one of the front shocks is broken. The lower ball end (plastic) broke right off like some cheap sh&$$.

I'm not happy about it. I'm talking about just driving around in a front yard, not jumping 6ft in the air as i see other people doing.

Anybody else have a similar experience with these? (HOT BODIES ALUMS)

The rod ends that Hot Bodies provides are weak. Go to your LHS and pick up a set of RPM or TRAXXAS rod ends and use them instead.

When I was installing my Hot Bodies shocks the first time, I broke three rod ends just installing the shocks. At that point, I removed the shocks and all rod ends. Replace the rod ends with TRAXXAS rod ends and had no more problems. In fact, I am selling my Hot Bodies shocks since I moved onto a better set up, but the shocks worked great while in use.

As for shock oil weight, I am not going to comment on any one particular set up, but the statement that you do not want to run heavy oil in them is total BS. I run 60wt silicone in mine and they handle jumps just fine. Aluminum shocks are designed to take the heavy oils that the plastic shocks can't handle. Otherwise many would just stick with the plastic shocks and up the oil weight.

If the only damage to the shock is the rod end, replace them all with something beefier and avoid the problem in the future.

sky, any chance you could direct me to a place where i could find the rod ends your talking of . I've found everything but .

Looking at Tower Hobbies, I found the following:

CLICK HERE for the TRAXXAS rod end set that I purchased a couple times over.

CLICK HERE for search results on RPM Rod Ends. These are all ball capture style ends.

I prefer the TRAXXAS rod ends and those are what I use. The RPM rod ends come with a great guarantee/warranty promise, and come as a recommendation based on what I have heard from many others.

rod ends

Thanks, I Guess I didnt look hard enough. I got rid of the Dirt demon ,and am getting the sav. Just getting all the things I'll need or want ahead of time.

No problem. Hope this ticks one thing off your list.

Back