Projekt Cyanide--56K Death

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostfreak

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey Guys, new to the forum and I'm starting a project and i figured i would share it with you.

I've had my Jato 2.5 since they first hit the shelf. I hated this truck because you couldnt do anything to it, 2.2 wheels didnt even fit right. So i bashed the truck. I cracked, ripped and, tore so many body, broke front bumpers and a-arms everyday. Finally i broke the throttle servo and didnt feel like changing it out so i put the truck up for about a year or so until now. I was planning on tearing the truck down cleaning it changing the servo and selling it. Then i come acrossed a video of a Big Block Jato, I couldnt believe it, so i searched deeper and behold New Era makes a big block kit for this 1/10th scale. So I order it and throw in a skid style front bumper. So i get to thinking all that BB power gears are gonna be replaced every tank. So i go on a hunt and find integy, I didnt find what i was looking for but i fould a Metal Spur Gear and a 23mm Hex kit for the truck which i can get from my local hobby shop. So i look on for the tranny gears and behold a youtube video of someone replacing the plastic gears for brass, the guy sales the kits on ebay from comments I've read.

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=3321

So enough story telling heres what my truck looks like now striped down after the cleaning. The engine is being held in with zip ties right now for mock up

101_2134.jpg

101_2128.jpg

101_2129.jpg

101_2130.jpg

101_2131.jpg

101_2132.jpg

101_2133.jpg

101_2127.jpg

101_2126.jpg

101_2125.jpg

101_2123.jpg

101_2122.jpg

101_2121.jpg

101_2120.jpg

101_2119.jpg

101_2118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a good project, keep us posted as it progresses

Sure will, My kit should ship tomorrow it being a holiday today. I dont know how long it will take to get here. Has anyone else ordered from New Era?

I ordered from New Era while I was deployed to Kuwait 3 years ago, it took 10 days for me to receive my order. Considering where I was, and the military mail system, I thought this was phenominal service. Good luck with your project.

Should be a heck of a ride after that things done!

Looking great so far, keep updated when ever there is breaking news:)

Got my kit in yesterday Ill post pictures up asap, I've already got the kit on my truck with the mock up engine on it, i got my kit in 3 days on free shipping. Any suggestions on an engine? Lookin for a .21 but may go bigger.

Still lookin for an engine, I think I'm gonna go with Integy Monster Street 23mm hex wheel combo

Pics Update
101_2138.jpg

101_2139.jpg

101_2140.jpg

101_2141.jpg

101_2142.jpg

Be careful with integy, their products aren't anything special and if you have a problem, they would be better if they didn't offer customer service than having the customer service that they have. Some of their parts are ok and the people who haven't had problems with them will get pissed because I'm saying this, but after having some problems and doing research, unhappy integy customers is in no way a minority.

The project looks great, I like to see someone who takes their rig apart and cleans it. That's how it should be!

Thanks for the heads up, I gonna give the hex's a try, i have some 23mm proline wheels right now, so i can save some money if they dont work, I can always order 17mm hex's from New Era and run truggy or buggy wheels, i thought about making some Wider A-Arms my self and running maxx cvd's. The only thing that i think would be hard would be getting everything aligned.

i was thinking about using tube like the rc roll cages. It would be 20 Times lighter and personal i think it might be stronger.

Last edited:
Yeah if you use the right tubing and brace everything correctly it should hold up pretty good. It will really depend on the welds (or brazing). Just like fullsize hot rods, you can use all the tubing in the world but it's only as good as the connections. I see a lot of guys building tube frame crawlers that aren't penetrating the connections and then they wonder why they wont hold up. If I was you, I would definitely use something stronger than aluminum tubing, like steel or a hard metal. The aluminum tubing will warp and bend no matter how well you build it because it's so soft and the arms take so much stress.

As far as alignment, I would build a jig so that I could make the arms identical.

I've got a cousin and alot of friends that can weld like pros, as a matter of a fact there certified welders, my dads not half bad either. I think i found an engine. Axials .28RR truggy/buggy motor, anyone used it?

I've got a cousin and alot of friends that can weld like pros, as a matter of a fact there certified welders, my dads not half bad either.

You can weld like a pro as well, it just takes lots of seat time at the welding machine. This would be a great time to perfect those skills.

You can weld like a pro as well, it just takes lots of seat time at the welding machine. This would be a great time to perfect those skills.

True, I can mig weld decent, My cousin has a tig welder, I'm trying to find a good used one. i think tig welding would be easier personally because i can solder really well, I've try tig for about 10 mins 5 years ago and it didnt seem to bad. I guess my girlfriend is gonna order the motor for me here soon, I'm gonna go with a turbo button head. Seen some videos of a Vage doing 71 with the .28rr strapped in. Just wondering if boiling my tranny gears would harden them and how much does boiling help?

Did you check to see if RRP or Kimbrough (sp?) offers any upgraded tranny gears. Be careful though, last time I went to google and typed in stripping trannies, the results were uh, not what I had expected. It took me to that OTHER forum that Rolex is always talking about lmao!

Did you check to see if RRP or Kimbrough (sp?) offers any upgraded tranny gears. Be careful though, last time I went to google and typed in stripping trannies, the results were uh, not what I had expected. It took me to that OTHER forum that Rolex is always talking about lmao!

HAHAHA, yea i checked both of them out and neither have anything except for a spur were they're the same as Maxx's

So i decided to use my old HPI .25 motor on the jato and put the Axial motor on my Vage. It all worked out pretty good, I just hate changin flywheels always have. I threw on my old proline body, the bed was cracked really bad so i chopped it off. it looks like a freakin robot now. heres the outcome, still needin some new wheels, 4AA,and four of those little hex screws for the rear bumper

101_2163.jpg

101_2164.jpg

101_2165.jpg

101_2167.jpg

101_2168.jpg

101_2169.jpg

101_2170.jpg

101_2171.jpg

Roflmao!!!

Danny Bonaduce once had a problem with a trannie, and it landed him in jail for assault.

i thaught i had issues until i saw this guys show on vh1. he dosnt need jail,maybe a straight jacket & padded walls?

Back