project "recon-maxx"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so I finally got my base rig for my project, it’s starting as an e-maxx. I have already don’t quite a few mods. This truck is like the bastard child of rc!!

Rpm tube and step bumper, Revo shafts, revo knuckles, maxx 3.3 turnbuckles, savage ends, savage x wheels and tires, expedition body, dual rate springs, wheelie bar, 4ws mod, and things to come are: front approach bumper, (savage wheelie bar) airtronics radio, high torque servos, and wireless camera with 30 IR leds, for nigh driving. The cam will be mounted to a servo and set up to be above the roof. It will be split off the steering so that when I turn the truck the cam turns to. I will also gear the truck lower, and possibly lower the chassis for stability. I'm going for close to crawler ability but not so slow.

Everything I can get in black will be black including the body for steathyness…

Heres the pics!!

When I got it.
DSC02102.gif

Some parts,

DSC02067.gif

DSC02064.gif

Heres some shots as it is.

DSC02122.gif

DSC02125.gif

DSC02121.gif

DSC02120.gif

DSC02114.gif

DSC02115.gif

The idea is to have a “spy” type rig, so I can drive around outside at night, while I set in the living room and watch on tv.

this will be the camera I'm gonna use. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260081578120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Looks like a cool idea! let us know how that camera holds up for wireless transfer, and impacts! I've been playin with the idea of runnin a cam on a truck. My concern is with any type of bump or jump, the picture will turn to crap. Would be cool to see a couple laps (and crashes!?) from the trucks POV!

Mike

Hey Beason, do the body flat black, that will really give it a stealth look. You can even use that purple body for that.

460507Hummer.jpg

Nice ...I like stealth....I have bben toying wit a camera set up as well....let us know how it turns out.

nc how do you do that? i havent painted it yet, but i think i messed up the post holes so i may have to get another one. i may spray this one just for giggles and have someone do me a flat black, or black and gray camo one. who painted that one nc?

who painted that one nc?

Cmon now, lol, you know I paint ALL my own lids.

nc how do you do that?

It is waaaay to easy to do. Mask both sides of the windows, then just shoot the entire lid with Krylon ultra flat black ( MUST BE EXACTLY THAT!) It adheres extremely well to lexan and will not chip off once it dries. I beat that lid to death and the paint help up till the end. I have done a Jeep and a buggy lid with it too, and both of those are just fine.

If you are going for the stealth look I think flat black would look much better than camo.

460508Hummer2.jpg

so i spray the outside? ok sounds easy enough. ill have to take the stickers back off though..

what i meant with the camo is like on the first pic you posted, on the top where you see the shadow of the leaves? it looks like black an gray mix, i think that would be cool, but a dark gray.

Don't take off the inside masks....you need to mask both sides as stated here

Mask both sides of the windows, then just shoot the entire lid with Krylon ultra flat black ( MUST BE EXACTLY THAT!) It adheres extremely well to lexan and will not chip off once it dries.

you can get ZERO overspray on the inside as well as out......

hey i could spray the outside with the flat black, then take the masks off and shoot the inside of the windows with reg black, for a limo tint look... now i need some more decals...

thanks guys! I'm going to check into this.

Damn dude, thats gonna be siiiiiick. If you're gonna do window tint, use spazstix window tint, or another brands. Black will be too black and I'm pretty sure it wont come out how you want it. Looks awesome so far man.

now i need some more decals...

That might be a problem. Decals do not look good over flat black, you easily notice the clear around everything. For headlights and tail lights it's not a problem as long as you trim them very close. The decals on mine are the kind Andy makes, they are the cut vinyl, not printed clear decals.

You can also paint the inside silver, that way if the top coat gets scratched it looks like the paint was scratched off to the metal.

btw, lightly scuff the outside of the lid, this will help the flat black adhere even better. And remember Krylon Ultra Flat Black ONLY!

well i ordered the servo reverser, and stuff to build the battery packs, i may actually drive this thing soon!!

i got a hitec 645 for front wheel steering and moved the stocker (80oz) to the rear, it turns OK with a hump pack, so the 7.2v should be better.

hopefully an update with 4ws vid and stuff in about a week!

Last edited:
Sick man.... Great idea you got there.

I actually always liked the stealth thing, but it's kinda hard to drive a nitro around at night with no one noticing it...

wewt! just picked up another 645 for the rear so i will be sneeking around very soon!

Back