Problems with my Menace 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Guys, New here but really need some advice, Got a Schumacher Menace 21 recently purchased, had it out of use for a couple of weeks while refreshing some part of the suspension etc and got it all back together today so thought I would take it out for a spin and this is where the problem started, or not as the case may be.

Basically I have fitted a new glow plug, primed the engine and when cranking it wont run unless the drill I use for starting it is still cranking it. Has me properly baffled as it was running fine when I parked it up for the refresh.

Any ideas, hints or tips as to what the problem may be will be greatly appreciated guys

Regards

Jamie

Sounds like the engine maybe gummed up a bit. Try pre heating it with a hair dryer to loosen it up a bit and see if it helps to get her running. If not you may want to pull the plug and check it with ignitor make sure its not a dud. If thats not it you may just need to break the engine completely down for a thorough cleaning and seal it up good on reassembly. Have you got good compression by turning flywheel by hand? How old and how much fuel has been run through engine?

Sounds like the engine maybe gummed up a bit. Try pre heating it with a hair dryer to loosen it up a bit and see if it helps to get her running. If not you may want to pull the plug and check it with ignitor make sure its not a dud. If thats not it you may just need to break the engine completely down for a thorough cleaning and seal it up good on reassembly. Have you got good compression by turning flywheel by hand? How old and how much fuel has been run through engine?

Checked the glow plug, it works, it takes a bit of turning by hand so compression seems ok, while cranking it with the drill if I give it some throttle it will run but as soon as I stop the drill it dies :(

It shouldnt take a bit of turning so much as to it should turn easy when piston is at bottom and get tighter around top dead center where the pinch is. If its kinda tight all the way around then its gummed up pretty bad. Try the hair dryer for a good while 1 min or so to heat the engine up to around 180 degrees and then it will spin over easier and possibly start up and stay running. If not your gonna need to break it down and clean it all out with nitro and wd40 and go from there.

Also if its that gummed up your carb slide and needles probably are as well. May as well clean or replace fuel lines and clean tank too.

Thanks for the advice, will set about it tomorrow hopefully if I have time. Worst case scenario, whats the best replacment engine to go for if I just want to stick a ready to run in there whilst building up the old one?

Well sorry I'm not familiar with the rig you have but i can recommend a good brand of engines being the OS .21 or maybe picco .26 or .28 depending on what kind of money you want to spend. Even a more affordable engine that i have the .19T version of on a tmaxx is dynamites mach 2 .21 for around $129. Then you always have novarossi and several other brands to choose from. Do a search using the search option on the forum to find all the recommendations you could possibly ask for. I've had good luck with the dynamite .19T I've got. So good that I'm thinking about buying the .21 version for my revo.

This was happening to me when I took my truck out for the first time after winter , it was boggling my mind. Then I adjusted my idle gap and it fired right up. Maybe try that.

Quick update guys, took the engine out today and it was a bit mucky so striped it and gave it a good clean, put it back together and guess what!...............nope, wrong it still wouldn't start :hehe: on closer inspection the rubber pipe running off the can had a split so wasn't pumping enough fuel to the carb! So trimmed that down post haste an boom back to life it sprang.

On the bright side the engine has had a good clean, the fuel tank, lines and carb have all been cleaned and it is now running sweet as a nut.

Thanks for the advice guys and will be hanging round the forum a bit anyway

Sweet means you dont have to buy a new engine after all. Like you said at least now the engine tank and lines are clean.