Problems starting my Savage 25

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFranchise

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Having some problems starting my Savage 25. When i received my truck in the mail i went and put all the tires on it, put nitro fuel in it, put the glow plug starter on it and proceeded to use the roto starter to start the engine to make sure it ran. I did prime the engine by placing my finger over the exhaust pipe hole to make sure i had fuel in the fuel lines. When i start to turn the motor, it will turn over a few times and then lock up my drill. I DO NOT have a transmitter or receiver hooked up to it yet which means i don't have the throttle hooked up or the stiring hooked up. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 7:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:14 PM ----------

i did buy this truck used off the classifieds on here.

Back the glow plug off about 1/2 turn, it'll fire right up, then tighten the plug. My old 25 would eat OWB's unless I did this. But DO NOT start it without a throttle servo hooked up, you don't want the engine running WOT with no load on it.

what do you mean by backing it off then tightening?

Ok, i did what you said. No luck. It still locked up my drill. Bad glow plug possibly?

---------- Post added at 7:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:30 PM ----------

I guess i'll just take it to the nearest hobby shop and have them help me get it started.

---------- Post added at 7:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:43 PM ----------

Thanks for your input.

Your engine is flooded. I can almost guarantee this. Try this and please report back:

1. Remove glow plug.
2. Put roto-start in and turn the engine over.
3. Put the truck upside down and turn the engine over some more.
4. Do #2 and #3 for a full two minutes. Basically just get all the fuel out.
5. Put glow plug back in and try to start it (DO NOT PRIME). If it turns over, but does not start--that is okay. Just keep at it for 3-5 second bursts.

Engines that use mechanical starting devices (bump box, roto-starts, etc.) don't need to be primed by placing finger over the stinger.

And as HPIguy said...make sure your linkages are set up correctly and the carb opning is aboiut 1mm

Last edited: