Preventing pullstart issues ...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyMantis

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,

I have an Axial .28 Spec 1 engine with a Axial pullstarter and i have a problem with my pullstarters getting stuck. I can't seem to run for more then two weekends before it gets stuck and it wont go back in all the way. You can hear the grinding of dirt when you manually try to wind it back in. I've tried to clean it by taking it of my truggy and spraying WD40 into the pullstarter and hoping all the dirt would get flushed out.

I think the main reason it collects all this dirt is because it seems dirt gets in between the pullstarter and the backplate. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I was thinking of adding somesort of silicone based ring in between the backplate and the pullstarter to stop dirt from collecting there...

I'm sick of fixing the pullstarters, and if I can't get this solves I might have to switch to a rotostart which I dont really want to because you have to drag it around with you all the time ...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
roto starts are way more reliable IMO.
Check to see if the knot in the end of the string on the spool is rubbing the backplate.

I did check that since in some cases it pulls the string back in when I loosen the ps a little. In most cases however it's dirt inside the PS and I can clearly here it grinding when I manually wind the string back in.

Back