Possible transmission slipage. Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-t-maxximum

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 2.5 and after the engine warms up to a performing level it will wheelie just about everytime I pull the trigger on any surface. However, after a couple of minutes it seems like the clutch in the transmission warms up and starts to slip a little because it will not wheelie at all and does not take off like it did earlier. This is all tested on the same terrain; grass, sidewalk, driveway, etc. Is there any adjustment to the clutch in the transmission to make bite better or sooner? Do I have a defective transmission? I know I shouldn't base the performance of the truck on whether it wheelies or not, but when the performance of the truck changes you have to base it on something. I just noticed this today so I haven't called Traxxas as it's the weekend now. Any suggestions appreciated. :classic:

You may want to look at your spur gear adjustment. Tighten it up just a bit and see if it helps.

You may also want to add more friction pegs to the spurr, it only comes with half of them stock.

FastEddy, would the slipper still slip even after I tightened it up all the way? Would the clutch in the clutch bell cause this slipping? Or is there one in the transmission?

It wouldn't be the transmission I wouldn't think.. the only thing in the tranny us gears. and you would know if they were broke or somthing.. it could be your clutch.. but its a brand new maxx and I have had mine for quite a while and never had to change it.. its your slipper probably:madface:

Originally posted by e-t-maxximum
FastEddy, would the slipper still slip even after I tightened it up all the way? Would the clutch in the clutch bell cause this slipping? Or is there one in the transmission?

He did not say tighten it up all way. Just a bit, then test it.

slippage?

Well my advice for you is if this happens when your truck warms up, try to adjust your carburator when the truck warms up to running temp.:cheers:

Could it also be engine temp? I noticed that when the engine temps reach 270-280 it doesn't wheelie but if I drive it around nice and easy for about a minute and the temps get back to around 240 it wheelies left and right. Also another tip for everyone, I took my clutch shoes off and reversed them so they bite a little firmer. I noticed a slight change. This was covered in the engine rebuild article by Steve from Traxxas. Worth looking into.

Back