Plug Temp?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_battle

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just bought a hpi firestorm and i want to make sure i take care of it so it lasts me a while. i haven't used it just have it all prepped up for break in tomorrow.. at the moment temps range from mid to high 30's to mid to high 50's and i have a mc coy 59 plug running 20% nitrotane fuel and i wanted to make sure that plug would be ok to run when the stock one dies because I'm sure it will sometime after break in because of the tuning. Anyway thanks in advance!

Ok kool thanks :]

Plug temp isn't really relative to outside temps. The different temp of plugs is for different nitro content in your fuel and engine size. It's to adjust the timing of combustion.

Typically, a small block engine running 20% fuel runs well with a hot plug. I've found that a BB engine running 20% fuel runs better with a medium-hot plug. Recently I tried a medium cold plug with my BB's running 25% and it really made them run a lot better.

Higher nitro requires more head shims (sometimes) and almost always a cooler plug.

Olds, you are THE MAN! Could not have said it better myself. General rule is almost all small block engines run hot plugs regardless.
I'm a power junkie, BB's, high nitro and medium to cold plugs!

So I'm guessing yer saying I'm in the green? cuz it does say this on a site that sells them "This is the McCoy MC-59 Standard Long Plug (No Idle Bar) with a Hot element that's designed for use with Low to Medium Nitro Fuels, perfect for Helicopters"

Back