Please Read --- Supporting RCNT...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Supporting RCNT...

Supporting RCNT...
=======================
This is in regards to this thread.

In this thread I'm going to try to best explain the changes that are going on here around RCNT as well as why.

RCNT Gallery:

There have been only minor changes to the image gallery, mainly in regards to file sizes but also with the use of the gallery.

1. Regular members now have a file storage of 768KB, this is only slightly smaller then previous. This change has been made mainly due to the reason that RCNT has been growing in size by leaps and bounds. We average about 250-300 new members each month, and that AFTER I delete the accounts that are not activated within 10days. So to continue allowing new members space for R/C images we had reduce the storage size of each member.

Along with that regular members now have a file upload size of 70KB. Before the upload size was 1MB, before the gallery had many images that where 1MB or just as big in size. Files of this size kill the server, not only in bandwidth but speed as well. Most html experts recommend images to be no longer then 30KB, however our limit here is 70KB.

2. Contributing Members has also been slightly effected by these changes, in the past contributing members have had a file upload limit size as big as their storage space (8MB), the new file upload size is now 100KB - your storage is still 8MB

Forum Sponsors:

1. There has been a new forum added which is located the RCNT Lounge and the Market Place. It's been asked and suggested by both members and manufactures that a "Manufactures" forum be added, and so now it has. These forums will allows reps from various different companies relating to the R/C community to discuss their products and company in general.

Member will find this beneficial in the fact they can talk directly to company reps to get any info they need about a particular product or products that company produces.

Manufactures and Retailers will find a forum like this beneficial for them as well. They now have direct access to thousands of members to which they can advertise their products to. Last month alone RCNT had over 99,000 visits!

Dedicated Server:

This has been the huge topic for the last couple of days. As one member already put it "RCNT is a victim of its own success!" For the last three or four months now RCNT has had to upgrade it's hosting plan, just to upgrade again the next month. Last month RCNT had over 7million hits to the site and more then 48GB of bandwidth used up. It's now becoming normal to see 60-70 people logged on at anytime during 10am-1am. Because of the increase growth the server has also become slower the only way to improve this problem and to get rid of the bandwidth worries for a long time to come would be to move up to a dedicated server - one just for RCNT. While we are taking steps to help decrease the bandwidth usage, there is no doubt that RCNT will be needing it's very own server more likely sooner then any later. We are exploring our options including our current host, nothing has been set in stone yet and we will let everyone know as soon as a decision has been made, until then all I can ask is to keep clicking the banners, checking out our advertisers all of which greatly helps support RCNT.

I think that pretty much everything that comes to mind that I'd like to share with everyone, if anything else comes to mind or changes I'll be sure to post it. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask.

-Michael

Sometime next week we'll be upgrading to the new vBulletin 3.0 system which will allow more features and a little different look.

-Michael

RCNT Hosting Sigs

It's been brought to my attention that members are uploading sigs to the RCNT Gallery not only to be used here, but everywhere else they post at on the internet. Because of this images that are found to be used as signatures will be deleted from your gallery.

Wow, can't imagine how that must suck up the bandwidth. If a person hits up a lot of forums..wow.

BTW I don't mind hosting a few sigs, maybe four or five? If a few of us who do have our own hosting, host a couple of sigs apeice we should be able to take the load off here. At the same time spreading the hits so thin that none of us are really affected.

Woodie,
Did you play around with the Gallery in other ways such as the format? Now my firewall blocks the images which previously it did not.

Originally posted by lykan
Wow, can't imagine how that must suck up the bandwidth. If a person hits up a lot of forums..wow.

BTW I don't mind hosting a few sigs, maybe four or five? If a few of us who do have our own hosting, host a couple of sigs apiece we should be able to take the load off here. At the same time spreading the hits so thin that none of us are really affected.

Honestly I think it's unfortunate that I have deny anyone to use the RCNT Gallery for uploading their sigs here, but the more and more I check the logs the more and more I see our images being used as avatars, other smilies and even post icons on other sites.

For example check out this lame site admin Auto RC - This admin not only uses our smilies but uses them as post icons. Please notice the red X's where images are supposed to be, right click and notice it linked directly to RCNT. Now I know a lot of people go and save other sites smilies and so on, but to just directly link to them...now thats a new level of pathetic.

None the less as of last night I have enabled hot linking, which means anyone that tries to use our images from the site will see nothing but a red x, unless it's one of RCNT's banners for linking purposes.

-Michael

side note: For the last few days our bandwidth usage per day has looked like this: 1.54GB, 1.57GB, 1.58GB I setup hotlink protection late last night and yesterdays bandwidth usage dropped to 1.01GB

Thats a great way to save bandwidth. You should see all of the 1:1 car sites that download my spinner movie every day, almost 125 per day. I still have plenty of space, but that will be the first to go when I get tight. I check my logs everyd ay, to make sure whos coming and going. It takes time, but at least I know whos sneaking around.

hey i have been clicking on the little ad's on the bottom of the page. most of the time about 4 clicks on each add. i dont think i could click on a ad 100 times. i would get really bored. lol. :2cents: what about when i got like some "change" in my paypal account, like a dollar or less. can i send that to ur paypal account?

later

Maxx Trooper - That helps out more then you know, but please be advised not to click a LOT of each ad. Google may see you as a bot or a cheat and ignore your clicks. 3-4 a day works just the same!

Thanks,

-Michael

Originally posted by lykan
BTW I don't mind hosting a few sigs, maybe four or five? If a few of us who do have our own hosting, host a couple of sigs apeice we should be able to take the load off here. At the same time spreading the hits so thin that none of us are really affected.
I have made that offer before in another thread, and it stilll stands.

Originally posted by RAMTech-RC
Thats a great way to save bandwidth. You should see all of the 1:1 car sites that download my spinner movie every day, almost 125 per day. I still have plenty of space, but that will be the first to go when I get tight. I check my logs everyd ay, to make sure whos coming and going. It takes time, but at least I know whos sneaking around.

Me too. It's kind of strange to see where the hits are comming from. I keep getting hits from an rc car site in the middle east. All the text is in arabic, so it was kind of hard to track the link down, but I finally found the post. Any site admin should check their logs regularly.

I can host alot of sigs as well. Probably 100 or so. If anyone needs it, just send me your info by e-mail on my profile.

Last edited:
When you look at my sig, it has the RCNT logo on it but it's not hosted by this site. Unfortunately, I had my laptop go down (manufacturer's defect) so I had to use another laptop. While this whole bandwidth scenario was going on, I realized that I should start hosting my own sig and pics on my isp account so I downloaded it from here and uploaded it to my own account.

Now that I have my old laptop back, my whole hd was replaced, so on and so forth .... MUFFA FUDDA, should've backed up sooner. Lost a lot.

Hey woodie, can you check to see if any of my pictures are linked to anything other than RCNT? I know i've done it in the past, but dunno if they're still somewhere on the net.

If they are, just delete them....except for the hamster pictures ;)

Originally posted by kwong2001
Hey woodie, can you check to see if any of my pictures are linked to anything other than RCNT? I know i've done it in the past, but dunno if they're still somewhere on the net.

If they are, just delete them....except for the hamster pictures ;)

Ditto, I'm guilty. A few of mine are linked to a couple of the other forums. I'll fix it shortly.

All taken care of.

Last edited:
Back