Please help!!! Tmaxx 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike8185

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi I had a tmaxx 2.5 till I blew up then I bought a 3.3 racing motor made by traxxas and I figured upgrade drive line and slipper clutch but now I got the problem of I can't keep a trans in it for more the an hour with out turning all the gears inside to powder ( I don't do wheelies either but the front end does stay up all first gear and part of second ) please help I have gone threw six trans so far and a few rebuilds. Also I did put a all metal spur gear in. If anyone can help me figure out how to fix this it would be great I believe the trans part number is 4910 trans.:\

Your slipper clutch on your spur gear may be to tight. Try tightening it down all the way then backing it off a 1/4 turn. I would say if your destroying gears that bad there is prob something else wrong. I have run Big block engine's against the black trans with only a FOC with no problems. Hope this helps.

Sounds like you have the slipper too tight, you also got rid of the bilt in fuse (the plastic spur) which is why your eating trany gears now instead of cheap easy to replace spur gears.

Check for any binding and or bad bearings in the driveline, running with it like that will put extereme pressure on the plastic trany gears and as they are now the weakest link in the diveline they are going to be what gives first, hense the number of blown trany gears.

There's no sign of any wear tear on any of the metal gears at all, any my clutch is about all the way out just enough to snug up the spring. And the trans most of them were brand new right out of the box from the stores.
Also I foregot to mention I'm 800.00 into to this with out car just upgrades

---------- Post added at 3:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:01 AM ----------

At first it was clutch couldn't take it burned them out like nuts the I upgraded then it was spur gear tore up upgraded to metal the snapped drive shafts upgraded to metal got all that fixed now my weak link is trans won't hold up at all. And I can't find any full metal trans with metal gears and reverse that hobby shops sell or even a price.

Theres got to be some problem causing it somewhere. If your slipper clutch is that loose and that 3.3 is making that much power it would be slipping at the slipper clutch. I have never heard of a 3.3 putting out that much power.

Get rid of reverse and you will have a much more reliable transmission. You can then run full RRP steel gears if you feel the need.

Do you get that special 3.3 racing eng that traxxas put out as a one time option?

Yes it's the limited edition motor cost me almost more then my truck if I remember correctly it was around 350.00 at the hobby shop for motor and carb. When I bought the guy said its suppose to be a great motor, I do believe it too cuz I haven't had any problems with motor at all just clutch trans a shafts I couldn't keep in it till I upgraded to metal now the trans is the only lacking part. I also got a warhead with the 4.4 big block and by far my tmaxx kills it. There both set up same way on bell and spurs etc. the only differance is the warhead has the orig. trans still in. I ordered a full metallic case and ordered all the metal gears so ill let yas know if it works out.

I would like to see a picture of this special 3.3. Can you post one for us.

If you still have reverse that is more than likely your problem or not letting off the throttle on jumps. I know the transmissions are different but as heavily modded as my emaxx was the trans never broke much less showed and signs of wear.

Yes it's the limited edition motor cost me almost more then my truck if I remember correctly it was around 350.00 at the hobby shop for motor and carb.

:whhooo: That's about $225.00 too much :whhooo:

Considering traxxas has never made a special racing 3.3 that sells for $350 i would like to see this engine myself. Sounds like you got suckered by the salesman at your lhs. Besides that i agree with everyone saying sounds like your slipper is too tight and not doing its job by slipping and preventing damage to internal trans gearing. I also agree with snookman on the RObinson racing steel gear set for the trans. You can find it on ebay for around $89-$100. They also have a nice steel gen 3 slipper set with gear.

Or, if you have the money, you can get Diamond cut gears that will last a life time that comes with a full purchase price guarantee if you upgrade at a later date.

Well I know for sure it a 3.3 and I know for sure it's a limited edition motor cause it says it on a little certificate that came with the motor the head I matched up to a picture online that I said it was traxxas and yes I can show the slip that I paid 350 for the motor I have a intgy slipper clutch and the three shoe bell clutch. But I solved all my problems last night with metal trans and gears.

Nice! I still have yet to get the steel gears for mine but they are coming eventually. Its the last upgrade i intend on doing to my tmaxx. So what all has been modified on the 3.3 to make it so special? Anything look different on outside of engine from a standard 3.3? Was not saying your lying about it, i just never knew traxxas actually made a special modified 3.3. Unless it was a stock mill that the shop you bought it from modified it and marked up the price. I have seen modified trx3.3 e gines before but not by a shop. The guys around here mod their own by porting and some polishing on the piston sleeve using a dremil tool and steady hand.

Or, if you have the money, you can get Diamond cut gears that will last a life time that comes with a full purchase price guarantee if you upgrade at a later date.

i have a set of those on my Redcat...they work AWESOME !!!!! :bowned::bowned:

Hmmm I'm pretty sure you got scammed on that 3.3... as many 3.3s as I've had I've never heard of a special one nor has Google. Don't get me wrong it'd be cool but I think the dude sold you a $250 piece of paper :(

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Oh I do wanna see a pic of that thing in hopes its real, very curious now....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2