please confirm-

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Block Racing

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I am getting into the hobby with my kids... I've had a number of hobbies over the years and know how important it is to join a forum and seek advice. I also know that it is best to invest more up front then go low and then upgrade upgrade upgrade etc etc lol.. Any way I am looking at the following items to get started. Can any one advise us on what else we need to get started? How many servos do we need?

1/10 R/C TA07 MSX 4WD Chassis Kit
1/8 Mamba Monster X Brushless ESC / 1512- Is this overpowered to start with?
S6245 Standard Digital High Speed High Torq How many do we need?
S1200 G2 AC 1x200W Smart Charger
11.1V 5000mAh 3S 50C Smart Hardcase LiPo Is this the best battery?
DX5C Smart 5-Channel DSMR Transmitter wi Best remote? Several are out of stock...
SR2100 DSMR 3-Channel Micro Race Receiver
Bandito B5 Tires, Rear (2) Are these the best tires to run?
1/10 Ford GT LW Clear Body: 190mm Tourin

Interested in hearing peoples thoughts? Spending a lot of money up front but hey why not.. It looks like it should be a sweet car to run..

Welcome to the site. Thats quite the chassis. The Castle is too big. In a monster truck, it has the room to fit, not sure on touring cars. Ill link their 1/10 systems shortly.

welcome to rctalk,

Honestly in my opinion you would be best off starting with RTR models to get experienced with then you can move up to more higher end type kits to build and youll know what is compatible for the scale and kit you pick.

Your on the right path , keep asking all the questions you may have we are here to help (All 20 of us...i joke)

These are 1/10 systems. I would go 4609kv-7700kv. I would also go sensored. Sensored eliminates cogging/stuttering at starts and low rpm. The Kv depends on what you want to do with the car and gearing options. If the car has limited gearing options, I would get a fast 7700kv, or torquier 4600 for tight tracks.

The body linked should fit. If you want a specific car, I can look around.

The radio I can't say. I xan say I am looking at s gt5.

https://www.flysky-cn.com/gt5

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/mamba-x-1

Welcome man! Great to see someone else getting into with the kids.

For motor id look towards something more along the lines of a 10.5-13.5 turn motor along with a esc from that brand. Reds racing is my preferred. Fantom and maclan have the same stuff. I just think reds has a better product but you can’t go wrong with any of them. That a medium speed motor, will be easier to learn with. Then you can move to a lower turn motor if you want faster later. In the 5 turn range you don’t just crash. You’re replacing parts.

Just 1 servo for steering. Servo, id go with a reefs 299lp or protek 160bl. General rule of thumb, don’t buy electronics from a rc car manufacture in cahoots with a rc company. Over priced, minimal quality.

Can’t go wrong with a gt5 fly sky transmitter. Comes with a rx. Excellent product for the money. If you’re feeling fancy the fly sky noble. I prefer the light weight of the gt5. Plus noble rx cost twice as much as the gt5 rx. Same company, but not compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Very nice chassis for sure.

Stay away from Spektrum servos. I am sure they are ok, but Savox and Reefs makes much better servos. Some of the Hitec ones are decent as well.

For a charger and battery, I would go with a Hota D6 Pro and a CNHL battery. Get the highest C rating you can afford and highest milliamp that fits in the car. C rating is the amount of current it can put out, and the milliamp is for how long it'll run your car.

For a radio, the GT5 is a good one for cheap. It isn't a Futaba or other high end model, and the plastic body feels kinda cheap, but it is still a great radio. The GT3 is also a great radio that in my opinion, feels a lot nicer. It is heavier than the GT5 though because it takes 8 AA batteries, but that is what I like about it. The batteries last forever, especially if you put 8 Eneloop Pro's in it.

For motor and ESC, I would probably go with a Castle system. Hobbywing has some nice offerings as well, but I have been hearing of problems with some of their 1/10 stuff. Tekin makes damn nice electronics as well, and their customer support is simply amazing. I would probably go somewhere around a 9-13T motor in that with proper gearing.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Well you guys are on top of your game today,

Guess i shoulve asked more about what the plans for the car wanted.

Guess i am the one who learned on low end line hobby grade rtr lol

nice chassis as said b4. id go with a 540 size motor in 10.5-13.5 and a 2 cell lipo as said highest C you can afford the motor you listed with 3 cell will bring you nothing but heartache and bench time repairing..

in a 4-wheel drive do you need 2 servos or 1
btw

Just one for steering, unless you have a nitro, then you need one to run the carb butterfly.

if your making it 4 wheel steer you will need to in standard 2 wheel steer only 1 ..do 4 wheel steer if you can.

Thanks Everyone for the feedback. I have made a few adjustments based on your recommendations.
So is this a better battery option along with the Hota D6 charger?

https://www.amazon.com/CNHL-Dean-St...attery&qid=1648995492&sprefix=,aps,108&sr=8-6
How about this controller from Futuba? It's not there most expensive but is it better then the one I have already listed?

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-Syste...qid=1648995698&sprefix=futuba+,aps,390&sr=8-6
Alright last one how would this motor work out?

https://www.amazon.com/38010201-Max...996074&sprefix=hobby+wing+1/10,aps,128&sr=8-6

Last edited:
Just something I wanted to add being new to RCing again after a 20 year hiatus. I am into bashing and crawling / scale crawling.
I chose the GT5 (6 channel and many receivers so ll of my cars use only this one controller) after a friend recommended it and love it except that I noticed that I need more channels for lights and winches and such. There never seems to be enough. If you choose to get into a category that needs more channels than your current controller, you might need to purchase a different controller with more channels. It is nice to use only this one controller for all of my cars and boats as you can switch quickly from one vehicle to another. I hope that makes sense. Just a little forethought before you spend your hard earned $$$
My 2 cents.

Back