Plastidip Rc Body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Ok so I spray painted my rc body a few years back with some of th all purpose spray paint i had laying around ( I didnt know anything back then) SO now I just have paint that is cracking, I sandded some of it off and now I want to paint it, If iplastidip it and I peel it off, will the old paint come with it.

just to clarify, you are trying to come up with a method to remove the paint that is cracking?

I would not recommend using plastidip if that's what you're trying to do... consider using brake fluid, let it soak over night and after several applications it should remove most of the paint, though the brake fluid method has been proven for RC paint, chances are it may work with whatever spray paint you have used as well.

No I'm actually trying paint over with plastidip but I was trying to see if over time if I dont like the color then i could take the paslitdip off and the old paint would come too

I tried removing paint once and it was far more trouble than it was worth, I won't ever do it again.

I have used plastidip in the past but it was very heavy and still was prone to scratching.

I currently use this flashing tape to protect my paint from getting scratched up, no where near as heavy as plastidip and far more durable :
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ForceField-3-75-in-x-90-ft-Premium-Flashing-Tape-1366538/316066836

I only use paint designed specifically for lexan bodies.

So you said that brake fluid is the best thing to remove old spray paint off, and it wont damage the body right?

Ok so will it still work on old spray paint( all purpose spray paint for all materials) i sprayed on the body or no

regular spray paint will chip/crack, only buy paint designed for lexan bodies

some people have reported limited success with Krylon Fusion which is purposely designed for plastic, but you'll get better results with a hobby grade paint which goes on paper thin so it can flex better. Krylon goes on too thick.

I recommend throwing away the body and starting over with a fresh clear body and use proper hobby grade paint where my favorite brand of paint is Spazstix:
https://spazstix.com/

just to clarify, you are trying to come up with a method to remove the paint that is cracking?

I would not recommend using plastidip if that's what you're trying to do... consider using brake fluid, let it soak over night and after several applications it should remove most of the paint, though the brake fluid method has been proven for RC paint, chances are it may work with whatever spray paint you have used as well.
Ah brake fluid :eek:) Never tried that, as a old McGiverist I'll file that for future use.

I tried removing paint once and it was far more trouble than it was worth, I won't ever do it again.

I have used plastidip in the past but it was very heavy and still was prone to scratching.

I currently use this flashing tape to protect my paint from getting scratched up, no where near as heavy as plastidip and far more durable :
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ForceField-3-75-in-x-90-ft-Premium-Flashing-Tape-1366538/316066836

I only use paint designed specifically for lexan bodies.
I just read on 1/10 scale rod shop about using 20% fuel to remove paint. I will say 33% is removing my factory cen f450 paint with a qtip and light pressure.