Plastic or Aluminum??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autogyver

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I am getting confused as usual...You seasoned Nitro Rc guys tell me. What Parts do I want Plastic and which parts do I need Aluminum?? This will be for a Tmaxx 4910 and used for plain fun no racing. I have already tore the entire left front off in the first 10 seconds of my Nitro experience.. Or If there is already a thread for this steer me in the right direction and remove this wasted space..Thanks in advance..

I would go with aluminum bulkheads, aluminum shock towers, rpm a-arms. Some people will recommend rpm shock towers but imo they are too soft and flex too much, I had them but took them off for aluminum ones. Avoid aluminum skids and a-arms they bend and then will break when you straighten them out.

The only area on the TMaxx where aluminum is absolutely necessary is the bulkheads. Everything else is somewhat controversial. Definately stay away from aluminum suspension arms and skid plates. Aluminum shock towers are ok but not necessary IMO.

*edit*

LMAO! Ok Joe, rate my post :)

You did just fine Josh lol. I guess your right about the towers, but I really did not like the rpm towers at all.

Thanks guys this is what I am looking for opinions and yes everyone has one and they may be different. so lets not turn this into an argue post let me read..and maybe learn something and maybe somebody else will learn something new..

:)THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION:D

I think the stock towers are fine really. In most cases the body mounts will take more of a beating anyways.

My sons maxx has the stock towers and they take a beating. The body mounts are definately another spot you do not want aluminum, or you will break towers. Another mount to avoid in aluminum would be the bumper supports. I have aluminum bumpers on my maxx, but kept the stock mounts as my planned weak link, cheap and easy to replace.

I need a half inch thick solid steel exoskelaten all the way around the @#$! thang. Do they offer these?? Maybe it would slow it down to where I cold atleast tell where it was going....

Sounds like you need to slow down period and build some driving skills. These things are wild. Find a wide open place where the worst thing that could happen is a roll over. Practice and take 'er easy and you'll keep getting better and more comfortable. You'll learn your limits, then be able to build off of them. Best of luck!

I like the RPM skids as well they offer an extra layer of protection to the under carriage, and not totally needed but I like the aluminum chassis braces, the bulkheads are a must and just replace broken arms with RPM arms as they break, also remember that it only goes as fast as you pull on the throtle trigger, less throtle = more control and less broken parts.:D

deff alum

aluminum is the way to go but dont go over board

NO alum skidss??

Ok I have aluminum skids on now, should I put the plastic back on?? until I learn to handle this trap. or get rid of them for good?? and how do you slow these down?? I had the linkage to where it would only do about 3/4 open,and it still goes into second gear like a screamin banshee and takes off:whhooo:.. I live in the N.C. mountains, all we have are steep hills, rocks, or woods no good flats to learn on, or wait :\but I guess I could use the high school track and football field..to practice..:D

titanium if $ is not an object, Wont bend or break

no aluminum skids or arms they will bend till they break. RPM arms and rpm skids are all you need for average everyday bashing

General rule is metal in the middle, plastic on the corners. I would go with a plastic skid setup.

Ok I have aluminum skids on now, should I put the plastic back on?? until I learn to handle this trap. or get rid of them for good?? and how do you slow these down?? I had the linkage to where it would only do about 3/4 open,and it still goes into second gear like a screamin banshee and takes off:whhooo:.. I live in the N.C. mountains, all we have are steep hills, rocks, or woods no good flats to learn on, or wait :\but I guess I could use the high school track and football field..to practice..:D

How do you slow down? Your linkage must be way outta whack. Move the trigger backwards to stop. Don't mess with your linkage to control the speed of your truck. The throttle trigger isn't a switch. Pull on it EASY. Put your linkage back the way you found it and make sure the breaks work before you even attempt to drive it again.

If you're interested in MY opinion, EVERYTHING should be aluminum except the tires and the antenna tube. :D

:whhooo: I thought you were getting some aluminum treads and a metal tube for your antenna?

Back