Pipe question??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
One of my Maxx's kept popping the pipe off. Would drive me nuts. Did not matter how tight I got the ties it would still pop it off. So I bought a Traxxas Resonator pipe for it. At first it ran like mad, awesome. Then I noticed it was running hot and would not finish a tank of fuel. Got very hard to tune. The more I tried to tune it the worse it seemed to get. Figured the engine was worn out and replaced it. The replacement engine ran exactly the same. Being puzzled I put the old pipe back on and the tuning problems were gone. Boom runs like a top and every few minutes you just have to put the pipe back on. So I got wondering and took the pipe off and let it soak in carburetor cleaner for about an hour. Rinsed it out put it back on and now it stays on and the truck runs great again.
My question is why does the aluminum resonator pipe, from traxxas, cause so much trouble? Any ideas? I will not be using it again but would like to know as it does not make any sense to me. Thank You, Shaun

I'm not sure but I had the same problem on my Revo. I couldn't get it to tune at all! I knew it wasn't me so its good to hear someone else has had this issue.

I think I will take both the stock pipe and the "performance" pipe and test them on a flow bench. I already know the performance pipe seems to have more resistance.

i have had the resonator pipe on my maxx for 3 years and have never had a problem with it. i have the stinger drilled out, otherwise it's stock and works great. what motor are you running ?

I had it on two 2.5s and one 3.3.