Picco Max - what driveline parts need to be beefed up?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, had my eye on a picco .26 max for a while. Nothing wrong with the 3.3 as it goes quite hard and consistent for me in my 4908, I just want bigger..:)

Can you guys shoot me some suggestions as to what other parts will need to be beefed up if I go the max option?

I already have two e maxx diffs and the hpi dogbone in the rear.

Thanks.

I had a race modded .26 picco In my maxx. I put one gallon through it with no problems
I only put the HPI rear steel bone in

With a properly shimmed tranny and diffs that should be all you need

I would at least upgrade to brushless diffs. My Picco .21 maxx engine eats factory 3.3 diffs like crazy. I have never broke a brushless one yet.

He said e-maxx diffs, so I'm assuming he meant the brushless ones.
You should be in good shape with those two mods, now maybe look for a better exhaust.

Yep. By e maxx diffs I do mean the brushless ones.

Thanks guys.

Engine bearings will need to be beefed up also. I'm just a little bitter after a bad experience. The bigger is better theory is fun...well sorta fun if braggin rights is what your looking for. More can be said for a truck that is reliable. The .26 picco is just too big for the Maxx. You can continue to dump money into it chasing the weakest link and soon youll have a $1300 money pit. My recomendation is to run a smaller engine. Spend a few more bucks on an OS .21tm

Thanks dub c. I have heard that alot too.

Is the os 21 a noticeable difference in output?

Thanks.

The 21tm is not as powerful as the picco but it is less problematic and a little easier on the driveline and you to goet the best out of a picco you really need to upgrade the exhaust whereas the 21tm works great with the stock setup

I wouldn't work up a sweat about the engine bearings, but replacing them at the 1 gallon mark would be cheap insurance.

Yep I've chased the weak link on my maxx with a .26 picco in it and have ended up with a $1200 money pit. Even now with all the weak links fixed it still vibrates nuts and bolts out every time i run it but i can deal with that. Still running the stock 3.3 revo style axles front and rear with no issues. Hpi dogbone center shafts is the only thing I've found to hold up. As far as the engine bearings, thats next. The front one is leaking without tuning issues but makes a mess. I will be replacing them both with boca ceramics within the next couple weeks hopefully.

Back