Picco Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
My son is getting an 801XT (we jumped on that $99.00 price) and are considering setup. This will be an all-around truggy. He'll bash it and race it. Trying new manufacters and setups is extremely valuable to me. I've always wanted a Tamiya, so it's great.

With that, I've been thinking about the engine. I've narrowed it down between a Nova 28-7 and a Picco engine. I already have two Novas, so am wanting to try out a Picco.

I've only heard great things about Picco. It reminds me of Werks, (strong fan base).

My only concern is that most guys use them in their Savage MT's or OFNA buggies. I don't know anyone who races one, and don't know why they it. We would rather get a "race engine" we can bash, than vice-versa.

I've spoken with some guys who are pretty knowledgable when it comes to engines, and they tell me Picco engines are beasts, so definitely considering it.

What Picco engine would you recommend for Truggy that will bash and race?

Thanks

The standard Picco .28 is a very good engine, and the Boost .28-5TR is a step up. Amain has the Boost-5TR P/S for only $219 right now. I have no personal experience with the 5TR, but my other Piccos have been very good engines. If the 5TR had been available at that price a few months ago, I would likely be using it instead of the $310 Nova .28-7RT I'm running.

For me, the top contenders for performance are Nova, Picco and OS. Honestly, the OS .28 XZ probably has a slight edge over both the Picco and the Nova, but it's also the most expensive of the three. I know the .12 TZ in my GT2 is an amazing little engine.

I had a Picco Psix .21 its a long stroke engine in my truggy and it fits in our race track, very nice power, the only thing is a little bit hard to tune but once tune, great. And I got champion on 45mins. Bmain truggy last week.

I had a Picco.26 Max in my Revolution and could lift the front end up even with a center diff. Tons of power and very easy to tune. I'd buy another in a heart beat.

Any “race” engine will also make a good basher engine.

The Picco Boost-5TR would work well if you’re set on trying a Picco.

I also own several Nova .28’s & OS.28 xz’s, all 3 are very good engines. I prefer the Nova over the O.S and the O.S. over the Picco in stock form. All 3 of those engines perform very well and will sling a truggy around with ease.
As you can see it’s a matter of opinion, some prefer the O.S. while other prefer the Nova and others prefer the Picco. Not considering price, it’s hard to go wrong between those 3 choices.

Appreciate the feedback. I think what I'll do is if I have trouble fitting the O.S. .25XZ onto my Hyper 7, we'll put that on the Tamiya. Dyno stats are almost equal to the .28XZ, so it's no slouch. I'd then get that Picco and put it on my Hyper 7. Assuming the O.S. fits on the Hyper 7, I'll get the Nova for the Tamiya.

Of course I continue to go back and forth so who knows...I might end up with a REDS or something. Ha!

FWIW, Werks engines are my personal prefence--at least for the tracks we run on. It has the smoothest powerband of any make I've tried. The only one we don't have is the B2, but it's meant for a light 1/8 buggy on technical track (so not the best for a Truggy) but I put a B5 on my Truggy and it chomped as hard as my modded P5. Like you said, it's a matter of preference...this is why I like to try new ones so I'm sure I'm educated one what's available going forward.

I agree, Werks has been my personal preference too. I've been running a Werks P3 .26 in my buggy for years. Its been a great power plant.
Although I've never tried the NovaRossi engines, I've been using their turbo glow plugs for years with great results. I think that's gonna be my next engine purchase.

Back