Picco boost .28 or LRP zr.32 for Savage XL?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobaloohoo

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want you all to chime in on your opinions, unbiased on what you run. i just want to know the stock engine opinions(no modded opinions) I've heard great things of both. I'm not racing, just bashing. but i do jump around and have fun with buddies racing jokingly. strength,speed,torque is what I'm looking for. i have to make my decision before Friday! I've researched but id like to know what the neighborhood thinks of this. ONLY OUT OF THESE TWO ENGINES:)

---------- Post added at 3:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:25 PM ----------

@Gablet id like to know the differences you notice if you run em both before friday

Search posts about the two motors, youll find that guys have had tuning issues with the LRP 32 and couldnt get it to run right. The new boost has a turbo button so GP cost slightly more. Having owned motors from both manufactures, ill tell you the quality difference is quite vast. The picco is just a better built motor than the LRP. Also the 28 will rev higher than the 32. They should be pretty close in power in stock trim tho. But know what I know about the motors, i would choose picco every time. Oh and the new boost has a refined carb with longer needles for easier tuning. The great thing about the boost is that you can swap the head button for a standard button and then you have the Picco 28 P3 :)

from what i look into, its a 50/50 thing, people favor what they like, i can either afford for my wife to buy an LRP ZR.32 with a buku clutch setup or the picco boost .28. i think with that mixture said ill have to go with the LRP with the buku, kinda knock out two birds with one stone. either way, i will probably end up buying a picco .21 to go in my buggy.

Just giving an opinion here. The Lrp series engines are great engines for the price. My .32 and my .30X both have fuel boil issues when trying to start when there at op temp. Other than that I have had no problems with my LRP's. With that said the Picco's are going to be a better quality built engine but once again they are a little more pricey. A Picco or a Nova. OS, is prob gonna be the better quality of any engine manufacturer. I know my next build it getting a Picco boost .28. Also if you want the RPM's and decide to go with the LRP the .30x is the way to go. You can use the pullstart from the .30 spec2 engine.

I have a Picco G21 Pro in my REVO I picked up years ago when doing some work in the middle east I saw one run in a CRONOS buggy while I was over there and had to have it. Of the current engines I have and am currently running it is my favorite I still have not opened my LRP .32 yet as I haven't had time for the savage project I planned. The Picco has been in several different vehicles over the years I put it up in the garage about 6 years ago and it fired up the other week easily.

If price wasn't a problem I would buy the Picco

Just giving an opinion here. The Lrp series engines are great engines for the price. My .32 and my .30X both have fuel boil issues when trying to start when there at op temp. Other than that I have had no problems with my LRP's. With that said the Picco's are going to be a better quality built engine but once again they are a little more pricey. A Picco or a Nova. OS, is prob gonna be the better quality of any engine manufacturer. I know my next build it getting a Picco boost .28. Also if you want the RPM's and decide to go with the LRP the .30x is the way to go. You can use the pullstart from the .30 spec2 engine.

thanks maxx, I've just decided on the .32 cause i love the low end power and I'm a gear head and have the mindset of loving bigger pistons! i have a 7.4 powerstroke just because its a big motor lol. and I've also went with lrp because i can get my wife to buy me some buku composite clutches if i get the lrp;)

Gablet, answer me this. I have 40 series mashers, and XL conversion and its a heavy sumbitch just from these tires, i can't seem to get it to wheelie anymore(wheelies arent all I'm looking for) if i get the boost .28 would it wheelie on demand, even with the stock setup i have now? main issue with wheelies is probably the clutch being stock. just trying to get a comparison from the power from my stock 4.6 lrp and picco. i mean, within two weeks i could get the buku composite clutch if i buy the picco this weekend. everyone is saying picco, i think it would be wise to listen, whats the difference in low end power?

The LRP is a step up from stock, especially for low end. But not a huge step up. Stock clutch should be fine. Thats not your issue unless it is really worn or the clutch bell is caked with clutch shoe material. I have massive heavy trenchers with aluminum HPI shoes and can wheelie even when I dont want to, so it is not short on low end. But it is a dog on top. I have not run my Picco yet, and its not stock so it would not be a fair comparison, but from what I've seen the picco is the way to go. I would run the picco and keep the stock clutch. It can handle it. You wont be happy with the LRP knowing what you could have had with the picco.

that said i might go with the picco then, and then send it in later on for a rebuild and to be clocked.

I think that would be your best option.

I run VP 20% with 9% oil , I have 3 LRP.32 never had any problems same go's for my OS engine's .
had 2 picco JL red dot , nothing but problems .
Being a basher and getting less wind to the engine then a racer I tune for 80% to 85% of the engine's power .

I run VP 20% with 9% oil , I have 3 LRP.32 never had any problems same go's for my OS engine's .
had 2 picco JL red dot , nothing but problems .
Being a basher and getting less wind to the engine then a racer I tune for 80% to 85% of the engine's power .

I run 20% Torco 9% oil blend in all of my Lrp.32 heard a lot of people say bad things about Torco don't know I love the stuff any how, not sure where the top end problem is coming from on the LRP.32 my MGT is a fairly heavy rig running stock 8.0 gearing and I have had it gunned at 48mph. If the weather is decent here this weekend I will get some vids up of the top speed numbers but I can tell you that's hauling for that rig it's pretty heavy.

same here , don't really see any problems with my top end when my XL with LRP.32 hits 3gear It be come's un controllable do to speed and basher set up = lots of cartwheels .

Well its not like I'm making this stuff up. The RPM numbers alone tell a story. Just do a google search. I'm not saying it doesn't rev out, of course it does. But its version of reved out is a far far cry from a piccos version of reved out. But do as you wish. Lrp .32 is not a peice of junk by any means.

That being said, I will gladly put my picco against any LRP .32.

we all no the 32 is not for speed and it was built for the basher with a ton of low end but at the same time it has more then enough speed for any basher .
and when I do race I run a ERCM SH.21 just as fast as any 28 or moded 28 out there and even with the moded 21 you don't have to pit for fuel like you do with the 28 .

And the only thing I'll put my picco against is the bottom of my garbage can LOL

we all no the 32 is not for speed and it was built for the basher with a ton of low end but at the same time it has more then enough speed for any basher .

and when I do race I run a ERCM SH.21 just as fast as any 28 or moded 28 out there and even with the moded 21 you don't have to pit for fuel like you do with the 28 .

And the only thing I'll put my picco against is the bottom of my garbage can LOL

Exactly and that's where the picco excels. It has the bottom and the top.

So now the race proven clocked picco is garbage. Well I can see where this thread is going. Time to check out.....

So now the race proven clocked picco is garbage. Well I can see where this thread is going. Time to check out.....

I really like Picco engine's bro I ain't hate'n LOL! Those Picco maxx .21's are screamers. I have had some issues with the old JL red dot's myself, mine had front bearing issues. And the Picco .28 boost will be my next purchase for my next nitro build. And it will prob be an HPI Savage build. But you can't argue the performance variant for the price of the LRP engines VS other engine manufacturers. But I would never knock the Build and craftsmanship of the Picco engines.

Last edited:

Don't check out yet you will find several picco lovers on here like I said earlier I bought one back in 2003 it was my first big block that I can remember and still love it though I haven't fired up my LRP yet. I have owned a a couple of the O.S.
big block engines and sevearal other BB engines the Picco has been the most reliable yet if I had the cash to spend I would have bought the Picco boost.

I prefer ERCM moded engine's over clocked any day .
I never said clocked picco was garbage you did , what I said was pretty much every picco I ever owned was junk and only one that did run good were moded by a pro , and its not all we's safe to go by what specks read especially when they use that to try and sell more of them.