Picco .28 nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blubbergutts

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
If I put a picco .28 in my savage xl what other parts will i need to get it up and running or is it a straight swap ,or is there a better engine ,please forgive me I'm a noob..

Also is the lrp zr.32 any good ...

For the picco .28 is pretty much a drop in, you might need to grind your motor mount, but some people get lucky.

I have no experience with any LRP product, sorry.

If I put a picco .28 in my savage xl what other parts will i need to get it up and running or is it a straight swap ,or is there a better engine ,please forgive me I'm a noob..

Any big block nitro engine will or should fit in any HPI savage without modification. Some may not except your stock style roto starter. The Picco engine is a great choice. I really like the LRP series of engines if your wanting excessive power. The LRP .32 would be my choice just keep in mind it will be harder on fuel. My buddy has the LRP .32 in an XL and the thing is crazy it toss's it around like nobody's business.

I've seen on some site roto starts for these engines...

---------- Post added at 7:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:59 PM ----------

Also do either of these engines hold there tune and are they easy to tune and run in ?
And being a noob can any one explain to me why do people put 4 plastic pull ties around the top of there cylinder head ?

Not normally do engines loose their tune...what usually happens is the climate changes and you have to adjust your settings ever so slightly to make the engine run cooler, or warmer. I like 240F.

Rich tune: Cooler engine = less power = increased engine life.
Lean tune: Warmer engine = more power = decreased engine life.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Alex

We put zip ties on the head to keep it from gettin scratched up, ....how noob are you? Have u ever broken in a new engine

New but not that new just asking the question and yes I've broken 4 new engines in , just some things I've not heard of thanks for replie.

i have a picco boost .28 in my savage x and it is insanely fast and hard to handle.. it is stock.. i know alot of people swear by having trhese engines modded but there is definately no need for that.. but its all in how u want it.. i have a ercm pipe on mine and its plenty of happy power.. my truck is very happy lol.. another good engine is the lrp .28 spec 3.. thats a very powerful engine for the savage x, if u have a savage xl u might want to try a lrp 30 spec 2 but the spec 3 28 would also be just as good. the .30 just has more grunt on the bottom, and the .28 has more revs so it is faster. never had the .32 but i wouldnt invest in one.. id just assume spend another 20.00 and get a picco boost .28.. hope u get the one u like.. good luck

I have a Picco .28 in my Savage XSS. I'm having trouble keeping the tires glued to the wheels. It either has too much power or I'm doing a lousy job gluing the wheels.