Panther Step Pins opinions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Just added a set of Panther Step Pins to my arsenal of 1/8
buggy tires. I already have a set of Prolines Knuckles (med)
and a set of Prolines 'X' pins (soft). I see alot of guys at the track with the pin type tires and wanted some feedback from anyone in here who has had good/bad experiences with the Panther Step Pins. Thanks.

I have seen a lot of 1/8 drivers using the Panthers and swearing by them, but at the end of the day they swear at them because they are bald. Correct me if I am wrong but the have only soft compound. Should be a great set, myself I would only run them in a real race just because of the shear cost of running a set of rims/tires for only a day.

The package says medium compound and I can see where they would hook up great for the race but there wouldn't be much left afterwards. And this tire mount job (on a set of nice blue kyosho tims) was one of my best. It would be a shame not to get some decent use out of them. My knuckles on the other hand seem to be the ones that will wear the best.

I Love The Knuckles! I Love The Knuckles! I Love The Knuckles! I Love The Knuckles! I Love The Knuckles! Did I mention that I Love the Knuckles?

I too have incinerated my step pins and wont do it again! I did enjoy the traction but not the price-tag that went with it. And I also made a mistake of taking them on pavement. Bad bad bad!

I think the knuckles stick just fine! And last too!

Is the general rule of thumb that when the track is hard use soft tires and vice versa, when it's soft use hard tires ? The track I run on is usually very dry, dusty and has a loose top surface. I like it best when it rains a little and the track settles in to a semi-moist, slightly compacted surface. The buggy seems to hook up well no matter shat tire I'm using when it's a little moist.

I know what you mean about a wet track. The one up here usually waters it down before a race. Unless its already moist from all the rain......

Anyhow, I dont want to answer about the 'general rule of thumb' for tire/track selection. I dont run on tracks enough to say. But I havent run on a packed hard surface to be able to say either way. I have seen both soft and hard tire compounds used on loose surface tracks too. But the patterns play a good role too.

Always check and see what the 'regulars' are using on that track. That should give you a good indication.

Back