Overheating too quickly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuda-848

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, i have a Thunder Tiger .12 Pro 1/10 scale nitro car. I am having heating problems with the engine.. It gets too hot, i can't even touch the engine after 5 minutes of run time.. I'm using 25% nitro fuel. Any leads on how to cool the engine besides methylated spirit? Any help would be great guys..

It gets too hot, i can't even touch the engine after 5 minutes of run time

Unless you can comfortably stick your hand in a pot of boiling water, I wouldn't expect to be able to comfortably touch a nitro engine at operating temperature either.

If it is actually overheating, there are three possibilities (or a combination of):

-Fuel mixture too lean

-Not enough airflow to the engine

-Engine is worn out

Some nitros run hotter than others, but I have never seen one that was properly tuned go above 280*F. I like to see them between 220*-260*.

I bet it runs really good but only because its too lean, your going to have to find that happy medium between too rich and too lean. Fatten up your mixture and that will probably solve your problems or switch to a slightly higher oil content in your fuel. I noticed My truck runs about 7 degrees warmer on VP fuel rather than the Byrons because the VP has less oil content.

It's normal for a nitro engine to be too hot to touch, you need to be sure you actually have a problem before you try to fix it. A temp gun will take the guess work out temp reading.

The things I pay more attention to...if it starts easy, performs well, and leaves a light smoke trail while accelerating I don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Yes i watched couple of videos on youtube on how to tune the LSN and HSN.. I guess tuning was the problem.. Thanks

Someone might have answered your question, but another thing you can do is add a head gasket shim to it which will lower the compression a bit

Back