Outdoor Cooking

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright guys, I just got a vertical gas smoker and have no idea what I'm doing. I've watched a few videos and read a few things online, so I've got the basics but I would really appreciate it if some of you could give me some pointers. I'd also take some suggestions on different dry rubs.

Thanks in advance guys.

Congrats on the smoker man! I've done a good bit of it with my brother in law, and he's really good at it. He either makes his own rub, or injects the meat, one of the two. As far as tips, this is about all I've got;

1. Don't trim the meat at all until it's done smoking, any fat needs to remain while cooking.

2. This depends on your smoker size and layout, but get as many of those disposable heavy duty foil pans at the grocery store as will cover the width of your smoker on the rack below the meat. Fill these about 2/3 of way full of water while smoking. This helps keep the meat moist and juicy rather than drying out, and catches any drippings to make clean up easier. Keep an eye on them, and don't let them run dry.

3. MAKE SURE you keep the gas vent holes, and the air vent hole clog free. We ruined about 50lbs of meat because little did we know the air jet / vent whatever it's called was clogged, and it coated all the meat with soot since the smoker wasn't burning cleanly. No amount of sauce afterwards will fix that, it was terrible.

Have fun!

Thanks man.

I smoked a 3lb Boston Butt today, I had it in for about 4.5 hours at 220, I used apple juice instead of water. It came out pretty good, I really look forward to trying different things with it. I wish this smoker had a smaller door for adding chips and water though, I had to add more of both when I flipped the meat and the temp dropped really fast with the door open. The only thing that happened today was that the first load of wood chips had all burned up and I didn't notice it because I was working on my car. It probably went a good 30 minutes with no smoke before I was able to get the tray filled and smoking again.

Good deal, glad you're enjoying it. Also, just FYI you only need chips in the beginning. Once the meat starts to sear / develop a bit of char on the outside, then whatever flavor permeated the meat inside is now pretty much sealed in there. Opinions vary on this one, but we've done it both ways when smoking meat and can't tell any difference. The best steaks I've ever had are prepared that way also (sear it quickly first to seal in the juices and flavor, then finish cooking it however you choose).

Also, soak your chips overnight in a bucket of clean water. They way they smolder rather than burn.

Last edited:
Good deal, glad you're enjoying it. Also, just FYI you only need chips in the beginning. Once the meat starts to sear / develop a bit of char on the outside, then whatever flavor permeated the meat inside is now pretty much sealed in there.

Also, soak your chips overnight in a bucket of clean water. They way they smolder rather than burn.

Yeah man, I had some soaking from last night....my wife had soaked too many for when we seasoned the smoker yesterday so I just added to them and let them all soak.

For a dry rub I am a HUGE fan of Dillo Dust. The only bad thing is that you have to by something from Larue Tactical, then the rub comes with it.

Also if you do by some of it then go on www.ar15.com they have crap tons of recipes that use it.

IMG_4950_zpsngsiblaj.jpg

Looks good to me! I like to inject the day before and dry rub straight out of the fridge and let it sit until it reaches room temp. I mix butter and brown mixed to use as a bast while cooking. Send me your email address and I'll send you a few ebooks that I use for recipes and methods. I don't follow them to the letter but it gives me enough info that I haven't ruined anything yet.

Looks good to me! I like to inject the day before and dry rub straight out of the fridge and let it sit until it reaches room temp. I mix butter and brown mixed to use as a bast while cooking. Send me your email address and I'll send you a few ebooks that I use for recipes and methods. I don't follow them to the letter but it gives me enough info that I haven't ruined anything yet.

Thanks man, it was pretty good. I look forward to smoking some more, we're doing it for Easter but haven't decided what yet.

Since I'm on a diet now I started smoking turkey and chicken more, a little more delicate but very good!

I found out that my neighbors are vegetarians, I wonder how they like the smell of my smoker and grill? I bet they wish our houses had A/C, then they would't have to keep their windows open.

All that great smelling meat might convert them lol

I'm trying to smoke a brisket today, I'm playing hell to keep it smoking. I'm trying to keep the temp around 220 but the smoke stops. I'm thinking mesquite must need a higher temp to smoke, it only smokes around 250+.

Brisket came out pretty good. It did get a little more "well done" on the thin side though (top of pic), but the thick side was perfect, it was tender and juicy...even my picky daughter destroyed it and came back for seconds. Next time I'll pick out the meat though...not the wife, hopefully I'll be able to find a more even one.

IMG_8973_zpsqgkvklyi.jpg

It looks good, I can almost taste it!

Arbys Smokehouse Brisket here I come, that looks tasty!!! Loring is hungry now mmmmm.

It looks good, I can almost taste it!

Thanks man, it was good.

Have you ever sealed a smoker? I've read somewhere about a guy doing it with "chimney rope", I think I'm going to look into it more and try it. Hopefully I can get it sealed a bit more and that'll help me have more consistent temps. Leave it us RC guys, we can't leave anything "stock".

---------- Post added at 9:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:20 PM ----------

Arbys Smokehouse Brisket here I come, that looks tasty!!! Loring is hungry now mmmmm.

Man, I haven't had Arby's in forever.....I could go for some curly fries.

Its where I go for brisket when I am in the mood for it, but god those fries are good. Kinda OT but a good sauce for their food is their tangy bbq sauce mixed with their horsey sauce, 1 of each and youll never eat any other sauce...

My mouth is watering and i just got really hungry after looking at that smoked brisket, I might just have to break down and by a small smoker, LOL!!!!

Last edited:
I miss my dad whenever I see a good BBQ brisket. That was his favorite thing to smoke and he did it regularly. I may have to go and fire up the old pit at my sister's place on his birthday.