OS .21V break in procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondslayer

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Any tips/tricks , do's/don'ts, and what to look for smoke/exhaust wise would be great! Motor has 6 tanks through it and i'm seeing a smoke trail at WOT, making very small adjustments.
Thanks!

Just make sure your get some smoke at low and mid range you could be rich on high end lean on low and burn it up.After bout another 10 tanks then you can start leaning it out.:D

Read the heat cycle break in sticky in the engine forum. Don't break it in when it's under 60 degrees outside. Preheat the engine with a hairdryer before starting it. This relieves some stress by expanding the metal. Put the piston to bottom dead center every time you shut the engine off.

Good note about the hairdryer, I will cruise on up and read the sticky now!

Sealing of the motor looks effective and basic preventive maintance, I never would have thought to do such a thing.

Me neither. I learned about not trusting o-rings from these guys a couple years ago. I won't even attempt to start a rig unless I know it has been sealed now.:)

Is the motor and parts that prone to come loose that the sealing is necessary?? It would seem so as sealing is recommended, I honestly want to know the true meaning behind it. I know on my revo, I keep loosing ehxuast manifold bolts, they vibrate out no matter what I do!

In a word, yes. Locktite and sealant are vital to having fun for more than 15 minutes at a time.:) Use blue, removable locktite on any metal to metal fasteners.

Dropped the truck off to my local rc expert and will have the truck back tomorrow with the motor and tuned, I can't wait!

Picked up a fancy new start box and some batteries and can't wait to thrash the streets!

Your gonna have to learn to tune yourself. A little fine tuning is needed every time you run the rig. It'll probably need tuned when you get it back.;)

I will tinker with it, he is a guru by, all sorts, he is trying to start his own hobby shop. Will both needles need adjusting on a consistent basis or one over the other?
I am running the same after market pipe that I was running on my factory motor, will I benefit going to a Extreme rc mods pipe? I'm looking into servo's but am not trying to do to much at once.

Your wise to take it easy on the upgrades. The more experience you get(it comes fast), the more you'll know what you want/need to upgrade. Read extreme rc's tuning guide. It's real easy to understand. Every engine, running environment and terrain require different tunes. One engine will never tune the same way as another, though all are very similar. As long as it runs snappy and your getting a good smoke stream, you should be just fine. Just remember where and how much you move the needles on any given outing so that you can put them back if you make the engine run worse.

I totally agree, upgrade it as it breaks. But an upgraded throttle servo wouldn't hurt.

Also, what is your opinion on upgrading the pipe for this OS motor that is going in. Will the performance be that much better with the big block pipe?

Well, you need to get a pipe that matches the engine. Yes, it'll make a helluva difference. Start a thread on it. Somebody will have some experience with your setup.

Back