Os 18tm questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I got a 2.5 maxx off ebay gave it a good scrub and shes lookin pretty sweet now
Anyway it got an os 18 tm in it,compression seems ok visually it just needs a clean oil and a seal now I guess the thing I need to know is what plug to use and what is a good pipe,i have a blue traxxas pipe sittin here would go ok or what can I use as I dont think a resinator will fit
Lastly if the engine is toast is it worth rebuilding or repinching or should I just bang a 2.5 in and go from there,from what I've read the os was a good little engine

The OS is a far better option over a 2.5. Sorry I can't help much on pipe selection. I'd clean and seal,use what you have and give it a test run.

Ill give it a crack this weekend hopefully the is still good I havent found too many parts for it
Is the tz similar to the tm like as in will it fit in a maxx without too much stuffin around

I haven't used a TZ but from the pics it looks like a direct fit. Make sure you get the right carb,it appears to be offered with rotary and slide versions.

While I havent used the TM I do have a CV-R in mine and I run a Vantage Revo pipe with it. I little bit of custom modding for the pipe hanger but thats easy enough for most people to do. When I first ran this motor all I had was the stock 2.5 plastic pipe and she was a bit of a dog. Using the Vantage with a slightly restricted stinger made a huge difference with performance.

I ran a THS pipe on mine, not the curved one, and it screamed.

---------- Post added at 7:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:16 PM ----------

A great plug choice would be anything you'd use in the 2.5.....I like the OS lc3 and lc4.

Cheers guys ill grab a lc3 and try the traxxas pipe I have,think thatll be better than the plastic on it atm fingers crossed

Merlin blue top plugs ran great in that motor and good luck rebuilding that motor the discontinued it a few years ago so parts are limited and I had a Macs pipe on mine for the tmaxx and DAMN that thing screamed ran like a raped ape but unfortunetly my brass bearing on the bottom of the con rod got eaten and that was the end of that motor I still have the parts laying around though

Yeh I pulled down on the weekend and noticed a bit of wear on the conrod but on the upside its got good compression now I gotta rebuild the trans as 1 of the output gears has snaped in half all before I could even test it