Original Tmaxx purchased for 50 bucks!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badsneaker

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm picking up a Tmaxx for 50 bucks, everything included. Apparently its a early model. .15 motor? Anyways I couldn't pass it up. Will get it on Monday. Has Rotostart 1 way bearing issue I guess, otherwise only 1 quart of fuel ran through it. Body was painted by the owner, not very good. I ordered a Atomik snow camo body for 20.00 of eHobbies. Best deal I could find. Any advice I need to have on this truck?

Advice: Sell it back to him before you dump more money into it.

In all seriousness (is that even a word?), that is a fair deal. If you feel it doesn't need much work, and is worth it to you, then i guess thats good. But, let me warn you, they are MONEY PITS! There are so many upgrades for that thing, and money burns holes in your pockets, big time! If you have any questions, just post it. There are many knowledgable people here that can help (myself included). Good luck.

.21Rc10GT said:
But, let me warn you, they are MONEY PITS!

Boy, ain't that the truth.

Maxxes are pretty good trucks to be honest with you. I've left mine plastic and broken many less parts than going with aluminum upgrades. I have two maxxes now and I have alot of fun with them. I think you'll like 4WD better than what you have now.

Man, just say no to aluminum! Either stay stock or go RPM! Traxxas also makes a slick and easy 2.5 conversion kit, so when that .15 dies, look into that.

Good advice. Thanks guys. We'll get the truck running, I'll let you guys know what I come up with. I have some RPM upgrades on my RC10, they make a good product. So I guess the .15 is stock on early Tmaxx.

I think its hell of a good experience to have a few brands, you can get to know each one more- you get more overall knowledge.

tmaxx is good if you don't want to really bash on it and are happy with just driving around in a field. I recently got rid of my tmaxx that had maybe one stock part left on it, and bought a savage from jon2. Like they said already, if you can get it going with minimal cash, then it was worth it. I would also stick with rpm stuff if you do ANY upgrades. I had the evo2 kit on my max for about 2 weeks before i snapped a bulkhead from a 3ft fall in the grass,

Avoid almost all aluminum at all cost! With the exception of the bulkheads, and a few other tiny misc parts. Go with RPM for a arms but not towers. I found the RPM towers are too flexable and cause handling issues. For the skids stay with plastic or titanium, do not use aluminum, they WILL bend and when you bend them back they will get weak, then they will bend again easier, and sooner or later will break. If it has stock shocks keep your eyes open for a good deal on some big bores, dynamites, or something similar. The stock shocks suck! You also do not have to spend the coin to do a 2.5 conversion, just buy the OS 18 with side exhaust and rotary carb and it will drop right in. Get rid of the easy start and put a pull start on it, the easy starts eat up one way bearings. Also pick up a glow igniter if you don't already have one. And you might want to pick up a foc for it, that is one of the best low dough mods you can do to a maxx. Go over the entire rig and checked for bad or stripped screws, and just make sure everything looks good and tight before you run it.

50.00 bux isn't to bad but like mentioned above, it's a money pit. I got about 300.00 bux tied up into my son's 1.5 Emaxx. Those stock shafts aren't going to like that OS .18 nor are you going to like wrenching on that truck with phillip screws. I would buy a hex screw kit, CVD's, and aluminum bulks my self. Then do a widemaxx conversion later on, this will make the truck a lot more fun.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will probably keep the stock motor, maybe put a pull start on it. I don't want to dump any real money into it, I really want a 4wd buggy or Truggy. I currently have a RC10GT, new Rush Evo with brand new pull start .15, and now the Tmaxx. Both the stadium trucks run great, but I'm too inexperienced of a driver to drive them at my local track.

dont want to sound like a retard but whats with aluminuim isit because it weighs the truck down when driving it??

nah, metal transfers stress so when you flip the truck, the WHOLE truck feels the impact as opposed to having some plastic in there to absorb it.
I snapped a bulkhead right after i did the evo2(all aluminum) conversion. Alot of people use aluminum bulkheads since it makes a much stronger point that alof of stuff ties into.

Its a little heavier overall.

bulk.gif

I loved my first Tmaxx! I put a megatech 16 motor in it and it ran like the devil on Sunday. I beat the hell out of that truck. I would buy it for 50 bucks

Get you another one. hahaha

Yes.. you beat the hell out of it. And you beat the hell out of mine when I wasn't looking.

Thanks..
haha