Original T-Maxx to 3.3 (Chassis not motor)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjcramer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, I'm new around here and would love some help. I have been searching and can't seem to find any info on this.

I am just getting back into the hobby and I have an original T-Maxx .15 to work with. I also have a brand new .15 Traxxas motor and carb as well. My question is- can I swap everything over to a 3.3 chassis? I have seen a couple of those on ebay and think that would be a great upgrade. I know anything's possible but has anyone done something like this or seen it done? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Last edited:
yeah it will work, you will need get the motor mount for the 2.5r and 3.3 and all the suspension hardwarebut it'll work

You could find a complete roller and swap your goodies right on it. Make sure it has a complete drivetrane. Then when the time comes, your ready for a bigger motor(3.3 or picco .26). Good luck.

I would get a roller. Saves ya the time of hunting all the parts down. What I mean is everything from the drive hexs back to the diffs and a complete suspension. All you have to do is throw your radio gear, engine and tires on it.

Thanks for the info Matt. I didn't want to get a roller only because half the fun (to me) is the rebuild. Maybe I'm better off sticking with the stock stuff and just replacing the worn-out parts. It really only needs bumper mounts, skid plates, screws and maybe some new bulkheads. Pretty much everything else can be rebuilt and re-used. I'm taking photos of the tear down and rebuild, should I post the photos up here? I'm starting out with an almost 10 year old truck so it should be fun:)

the suspension mounts are the same but you'll want to upgrade to the newer wider suspension arms, driveshafts, toe links, and axle carriers. I didnt fully read and understand your initial question. I would use the chassis i already have and build off of that. I just finished turning a 4910 int a 4908 sans the opti drive (dont need it anyway)